Mse & xp

General Network security, firewalls, port filtering/forwarding, wireless security, anti-spyware, as well as spam control and privacy discussions.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Mse & xp

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Hi,
I have a couple people I still help who have XP & MSE for virus protection. I know all the "get off XP" stuff, but that's not the point of this. I have also removed the windows updates that gvie them the )XP is no longer supported "bug" messages.

In the last couple weeks these 2 people have been unable to update definitions. From within the program it fails with an error. When we d/l the mpam-fe file and try to run it, we get the "this is not a valid win32 application" message.

Has MS completely shutdown MSE updates on XP or is something else going on here?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

MS has dropped support for updates since April 12th... There is a workaround by unzipping the archive, then copying the files over to the MSE definitions directory, there is more info here: http://www.xpforums.com/ms-has-disconti ... 32780.html
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Well until very recently, the "drop support" meant no Windows Updates for XP, but we were still able to update MSE. I will read the link you gave me. But how come the download of the mpam-fe file (manual definition update), does not work either?
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Double check to ensure you're downloading the 32 bit version, not the 64 bit version.
I recall it being a compressed .VDM file you're double tap and it would auto extract. some file named "mpav<something>...but I don't recall an "FE" in the name.

I used to love MSE back in the early days of it, but Microsoft really dropped its detection abilities.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Guess they changed the naming structure since you last looked at it.

Here is the download page and #4 in the manual download section shows the filename as mpam-fe. I did double check about downloading the 32 bit version for use on the XP computer in question.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/port ... s/adl.aspx

Funny thing is, for some XP computers it is working. The thread Phillip gave took me to some posts that seem to indicate MS changed their mind about not allowing MSE updates.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

The person I first reported this with and helping out, said it started working. Right about the time I found some Google hits that seemed to indicate MS reversed itself to still allow MSE Updates for XP.