New Linksys EA6300 keeps port 53484 opened for SmartWifi account access.

General Network security, firewalls, port filtering/forwarding, wireless security, anti-spyware, as well as spam control and privacy discussions.
Markus123

New Linksys EA6300 keeps port 53484 opened for SmartWifi account access.

Post by Markus123 »

Good Day.

I just got the new Linksys EA6300, from the new line of LinkSys Smart Wifi Routers family.

Let me say first that it is terrific in its features.

So I setup it up for a Lynksys Smart Wifi account and I though: "Wow, great". So after I played with its features, I decided to have the router checked for opened ports here at SpeedGuide.net. To my surprise, the results indicated that port 53484 was opened. Upon checking the logs, I saw quite a few incoming logs on that port. Doing a check on the IP addresses, they were all from Egypt (I'm in Canada) and such overseas places.

I started to peruse the LinkSys help and forums, but there was absolutely no mention of this port 53484 being opened. I started to suspect the SmartWifi Account needing a port to come in. After reading the documentation over with greater attention, the manual mentioned on page 8 how to disable Remote Access. I did so and the router is now clean with all its ports closed after another check on SpeedGuide.net. Of course, no more incoming logs on that port either. And I also lost all the benefits of accessing the Router from "anywhere in the world" as the documentation suggests, and any Smart Phone access as well.

I've always made sure that my router(s) were bullet-proof in the past. But with these new Smart Wifi Routers, (I'm sure others may or will be doing that) with the Smart Phone and Remote accesses a bit of a security issue? What will happen when the whole world knows of these opened ports? It may be a free for all for the "bad guys" to get into these routers and sow havoc?

Of course I plug the hole, deleted my LinkSys SmartWifi Account and I'll manage the router the old traditional way: from home when I'm there.

Have any of you heard of this?

Thank You for whatever your thoughts and comments may be on this.

Regards,

Markus123
rae_miller_20

Post by rae_miller_20 »

So how did you end up fixing the open port cuz my wife Dad just got the same type of system
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Welcome to SG.

To close the port on Linksys routers, make sure any "remote access" and "smart phone access" is disabled, and test the port with the security scan on the main site: https://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=53484

Let us know if this works to close the ports.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑