Threads revived by Spammers

Please post any questions, comments, concerns, issues, bugs, or feature requests about the site/forums/server here.
Sava700

Threads revived by Spammers

Post by Sava700 »

Just a suggestion and a request - but can we please remove any posts pertaining to a spammer that for some odd reason revives a old thread? Seems you have a spammer hit a thread that is a few years old and clearly dead to only get the spammers post quoted right after as a way of venting frustration when it clearly isn't needed.

What happens after you delete the spammer and their post is now you have the thread still alive from the quote which often times a Mod must edit due to advertising. This would keep all active threads in the spotlight and let the ones revived go back to dead status.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

We usually remove spam posts, and threads go back to their last post's time.
The one exception, which is a small percentage of such threads, is when the new post is not clearly spam. Even though we monitor new members for spam, reviving an old thread is not against the rules by itself.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Philip wrote:We usually remove spam posts, and threads go back to their last post's time.
The one exception, which is a small percentage of such threads, is when the new post is not clearly spam. Even though we monitor new members for spam, reviving an old thread is not against the rules by itself.
Well removing spam posts is what is happening however what your seeing is other members "Quoting" or mocking the post of the spammer before a Mod is able to act therefore keeping the old thread alive which is unnecessary.

Example:
http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread ... phics-help
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Well, that's either us slacking, or too many replies to deal with.

You're right in theory, just that removing regular members' posts is much lower priority than dealing with spam, and a few threads being resurrected temporarily is not the end of the world as we know it.
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

Philip wrote:Well, that's either us slacking, or too many replies to deal with.

You're right in theory, just that removing regular members' posts is much lower priority than dealing with spam, and a few threads being resurrected temporarily is not the end of the world as we know it.

Seems to have been alot here lately but figured it was worthy of a suggestion.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

We try. But I"ll ask that when people see a spam post...simply report it...don't "reply" to it. And especially please don't "quote them and reply". It creates double..even triple the work..for us.
Just report it...we'll see the report..and then ban the spammer and delete their post...all done with the "spam-o-matic" feature we have. But when a member here quotes/replies to a spammer...we then have to go to the thread and do some edition from a different function that takes quite a bit more time on our end. Sorry..but often in the morning I barely have enough time to whack spammer threads. Spending twice/thrice the time and effort to clean up member anti spammer humor doesn't sit high on my priority list.

I can see how it may seem funny for members to poke fun at the spammers...but in reality...those spammers are long gone and aren't returning. Or it's a spam bot..that..not being human, obviously doesn't have a sense of humor or feelings to hurt.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

:thumb:
Sava700

Post by Sava700 »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:We try. But I"ll ask that when people see a spam post...simply report it...don't "reply" to it. And especially please don't "quote them and reply". It creates double..even triple the work..for us.
Just report it...we'll see the report..and then ban the spammer and delete their post...all done with the "spam-o-matic" feature we have. But when a member here quotes/replies to a spammer...we then have to go to the thread and do some edition from a different function that takes quite a bit more time on our end. Sorry..but often in the morning I barely have enough time to whack spammer threads. Spending twice/thrice the time and effort to clean up member anti spammer humor doesn't sit high on my priority list.

I can see how it may seem funny for members to poke fun at the spammers...but in reality...those spammers are long gone and aren't returning. Or it's a spam bot..that..not being human, obviously doesn't have a sense of humor or feelings to hurt.

Perhaps we should just move this thread into the General Forum section for a while so all can read it.
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

Maybe we can have a few more people here with admin rights to delete the spam? I think that would be a good idea.
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

Shinobi wrote:Maybe we can have a few more people here with admin rights to delete the spam? I think that would be a good idea.
:nod: