PCIe 5.0

Anything related to hardware (CPU/MoBo/Video/FSB/BIOS, etc.), hardware settings, overclocking, cooling, cool cases, case mods, hardware mods, post pics of your unique creations here.
Easto
SG Elite

PCIe 5.0

Post by Easto »

Has anyone been following the specs for these new AM5 Mobos? NVMe M.2 drives hitting 13,000 MB/sec (reads). That's incredible.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I just looked it up, wow 14GB/s speeds, amazing.. I've been looking at that Corsair MP600 at Newegg again, the 2TB is now $199 I just don't need another SSD in my rig, I already bought a couple of 1Tb ones.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Although I'd love to put together a new AM5 board I just can't justify it right now. My last build was in December and it's doing everything I need it to do. I can update my BIOS and put in a Ryzen 9 5950X and I think once those prices start to drop that will definitely happen. I would also like to put another M.2 2gig (or possibly 4gig) onto the board too. I'm watching those prices closely.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I agree with you, at some point the speed difference becomes unnoticeable for storage drives, would be great for an OS drive though.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I use a music program that lets you add samples that are produced by other companies and some of those packages can be almost a TB in size. They also recommend storing them on a NVMe, PCIe or SATA drive. Since the size of the samples being used can get rather large and they can really start to eat up memory and slow things down, getting the samples to load as quickly as possible is desirable. I'm figuring an onboard NMVe should do it. I'm just waiting to see some prices go down.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Well you can use risers/adapters to add NVME drives directly to PCI slots on any MoBo, just not sure about the exact speed you can get out of them.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Update: The news today looks as is AM5/DDR5/PCIe5 are going to make their debut in September. I've been watching prices on the Rzyen 9 5950X and DDR4 memory like a hawk. Although there have been a few price reductions I'm guessing the big drops will come when the new AM5 platform is released. Also DDR4 CL14 memory does not seem to be going down much. Any price drops are on CL16 stuff.

The Ryzen 9 5950X is still sticking at $499 but DDR4 memory is slowly dropping. Once I see anything significant I'll be clicking on the "buy" button!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Fall is usually a good time to buy hardware, with Labor Day, Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and the Holiday season around the corner. This year may be a bit strange though, with inflation cutting into corporate profit margins, and chip shortages. Intel announced recently they'll be raising prices on their processors this fall.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Well the Ryzen 7000 series is being announced today. Should be out in Sept.
Mark

Post by Mark »

i may finally build a new PC after 9 years depending on real world benchmarks this winter
7950x~64GBGskill6000~asusx670e~rx6800~2TBNvme-OS drive~4TB-Nvme-scratch~500GB-SSD-thrash~10TB storage~Windows 10
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

9 years... you're due for an upgrade, you will see noticeable difference ;)
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Philip wrote:9 years... you're due for an upgrade, you will see noticeable difference ;)
Oh yeah, you'll be shocked. I did an AM4 level build back in December to a Ryzen 7 3700X from and older AMD 4 core build (don't remember what exactly it was), but WOW. I think with the new PCIe5, DDR5 and new Mobo format there's really no reason not too. Almost every new Mobo has at least 2 M2 slots which give you some blazing load speeds. Also, a 1tb M.2 drive is about $125. Go with 32g of memory and you're golden.

Mark: Also, upgrade from Win 7 asap. Windows 11 has been flawless in everything I do.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I am still on the fence with Windows 11, I have it on a couple of laptops I use at times and service, but I prefer Windows 10. I don't like the new right-click context menus hiding "copy/paste" for example, rename, and other such small things irk me. I also don't particularly like the move of "Documents" to a default location on OneDrive, it's a bit of a pain to move everything back, requires a registry edit and a few hoops to jump over. They also removed the option to login with a local account on newer builds (although you can make a local account after and logout of the MS one).

Other than some of those small peculiarities it seems fine.
๑۩۞۩๑
Mark

Post by Mark »

when i built this system i hoped to get 5 years out of it, but man it really does what i need it to do still.
i'm sure i will be blown away with a new system for sure.

most new motherboards i have seen have only like 4 SATA connections, WTH is that all about though, i know the NVME drives are all the rage and will get a fast one for boot for sure, but i need more SATA plugs, or maybe just get more USB docks later.

also 24 PCIe lanes seems kinda few when i have 40 lanes now, but maybe with the way faster speeds i doesn't matter as much ?
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'm seeing AM5 boards with 3 & 4 NVME slots and you can get up to 4tb each for those (depends on your wallet). And 6 SATA connections. How much storage space do you need?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You can always get PCiE to SATA adapter if you need more SATA ports too.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Ram and SSD prices are dropping. Even if you get an AM5 mobo you can still purchase the cheaper PCIe4 level M2 drives and probably not even notice the difference (and save a ton of money)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, couldn't agree more, PCIEx4 is lightning fast.
๑۩۞۩๑
Mark

Post by Mark »

ya i guess i only need about 3-4 sata ports at most really anyways, i just hope the new mobos are not too pricey like most people are thinking.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I know what you mean about spending money on a new rig. That was probably the greatest factor in me holding off for so long. I'm as cheap as they come. I had the money but didn't want to spend it. But, if you take into account how often you (and I) upgrade our computers it really knocks down that year to year cost quite a lot. Right now I'm sticking with my build that I did in December. It's an X570 Asus mobo with 32g of ram and an NVME M.2 1tb drive as my OS and program drive. It is by far one of the fastest computers I've ever had. I do plan on upgrading to a 2tb or 4tb M.2 and a Ryzen 9 5950X once I see the prices drop to an acceptable amount. I'm guessing (hoping) to see M.2 x4 drives go way down in price since I'd really like to snag a 4tb M2. I'm also playing around with the idea of increasing my memory to 64gb from 32 but we'll have to see how much more DDR4 prices come down. Actually they're pretty low right now.
Mark

Post by Mark »

ya 9 years on one system is a long time, but when i built it i knew it was money well spent, the only thing i upgraded was a video card that was a killer deal, and larger drives here and there.

the 5950X CPU has really come down in price and for sure ddr4 is pretty cheap now, i was thinking of doing that kinda system for a while.

looking at the 7950x once i see real world benchmarks/cooling needs, but now there is talk of a 7950x 3d model, i wonder if it will much faster, the 7950x already goes to 5.7Ghz if cooling is right.

i boogles my mind how fast these new CPUs are nowadays, i struggled to get a stable 4.3Ghz on my 4930K and have had to run her at 4.1 for a few years now
7950x~64GBGskill6000~asusx670e~rx6800~2TBNvme-OS drive~4TB-Nvme-scratch~500GB-SSD-thrash~10TB storage~Windows 10
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Newegg is advertising 3 more days until the new Ryzen CPUs are out.