Upgrading my Memory

Anything related to hardware (CPU/MoBo/Video/FSB/BIOS, etc.), hardware settings, overclocking, cooling, cool cases, case mods, hardware mods, post pics of your unique creations here.
Easto
SG Elite

Upgrading my Memory

Post by Easto »

My new build has 32gig of Corsair CL16 memory in it. It was a good choice for what I needed at a good price point. So for the last several days I've been trying to find that part number in order to add another 32gig to my rig and it appears that it is not available. I know part of the ID number is just the color of the stick so I'm going to have to do a search for another color (which I don't care about). I don't know if it's just a shortage but it looks like I may just have to try and sell this memory on the secondary market and buy 64gigs as a bundle.

I'd really like to find this... CMK32GX4M2B3200C16

If I do go for a complete change and upgrade should I be looking for 2 - 32gig sticks or are 4 - 16gig sticks?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You can mix and match memory, you can get a pair of same speed DDR4 and it will work. It is best if you match the speed, voltage, CAS latency timings as well. As to 2x32 vs 4x16.. It doesn't matter much, some motherboards are limited to two RAM slots. I suppose I would get 2x32, but if one goes bad it is more expensive to replace.

That said, I think you can match yours, isn't that it? --> https://www.newegg.com/corsair-32gb-288 ... 6820233894
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I did see that memory on NE but it's coming from some seller in China and they don't have that many sales and their ratings aren't that great. I need to look closer as to what each of the numbers in the memory description means and maybe I can find something compatible.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

CMK 32G X4 M2 B 3200 C16

CMK - manufacturer, part
32G - 32 gig total
X4 - DDR4
M2 - # of modules, 2 in the kit I think
B - maybe part/module/heatsink type
3200 - speed 3200
C16 - CAS latency 16

You can mix/match modules, I would stay with the same speed, CAS latency, and voltage. Maybe even same manufacturer if possible. Also don't mix double-sided vs. single sided.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I think the B is for Black. They offer them in Red and White too. I'm good with 32 right now but I'm keeping my eye on both 64gig of memory and a Ryzen 9 5950X. The prices are starting to Drop on the 5950X and that seems to be the upper limit that my bios will accept. I'm going to wait another 6 months and see if the price drops some more. I really don't need it but when AMD starts to push the 6000 series I figure it will be a good time for the upgrade.