IDE to USB for Old quantum fireball ex 3.5 series?

Anything related to hardware (CPU/MoBo/Video/FSB/BIOS, etc.), hardware settings, overclocking, cooling, cool cases, case mods, hardware mods, post pics of your unique creations here.
purecomedy

IDE to USB for Old quantum fireball ex 3.5 series?

Post by purecomedy »

I’m curious if I try to read data off of a quantum fireball ex 3.5 series hard drive using an IDE to USB converter if I’ll have success. I believe the age of this drive is mid/late 1990s. Fairly sure I had windows 95 on it, was pulled from a 486 (100mhz I think).

From what I’ve read windows 10 won’t read FAT16 partitions so I either need to read it with some kind of special utility or maybe boot my PC with Knoppix or something. Looking for thoughts on this too.

Just curious if there’s a particular IDE to USB model that is more likely to work…or if what I’m doing is unlikely to work period.

P.S. If the tool I buy can also include a SATA to USB it would be more useful long term.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You'd likely have to install another OS, either a virtual machine Windows XP, or better yet some Linux distro.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
purecomedy

Post by purecomedy »

Philip wrote:You'd likely have to install another OS, either a virtual machine Windows XP, or better yet some Linux distro.
I figured Knoppix would be an easy way to do that (Linux based right?). Bootable from DVD or USB drive so I won't spend a bunch of time figuring out how to install something permanent.

I've read really mixed things about IDE to USB devices. There seem to be a lot of complaints from people saying they won't find old IDE devices.

I've got an old PC with a P5B board on it that's super flakey but at least has an IDE DVD drive I can piggy back off of. I got Knoppix working on this machine but I need a USB slot or PS/2 slot to work for long enough to give me a keyboard and mouse I may be able to see the drive on there. I doubt I'll get it working.