Anyone want to recommend a decent scanner?

Anything related to hardware (CPU/MoBo/Video/FSB/BIOS, etc.), hardware settings, overclocking, cooling, cool cases, case mods, hardware mods, post pics of your unique creations here.
Easto
SG Elite

Anyone want to recommend a decent scanner?

Post by Easto »

Over the last year or 2 I've found myself needing to scan several documents. Just things where a photo of the document just won't cut it. I don't really need anything that is photo reproduction capable, but since I'm pretty sure that scanners have evolved into an all-in-one item I'll probably get those features needed or not. Wireless would be nice, but not required. Although I'm sure they've evolved to the point where everything is wireless whether you need it or not.

Is it possible to keep this under $150? I'm throwing this out there before I start to surf for reviews. I just wanted the communities opinions and recommendations.
firewolfrl

Post by firewolfrl »

I use an old Brother MFC 8460n. it is a little bit of setup and the newer stuff scans to a folder in pdf. That is what you want to find...get a black and white laser printer...They last forever
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I use a Brother MFC 9460cdn, I've had it for a few years. It is a multi-function device, including color laser printer, fax (rarely needed these days), and scanner, both flatbed and feeding single sheets. For a standalone scanner I'd check either Epson or Canon, those are the big names. You can probably find an used Epson Perfection Photo scanner for under $100 on fleabay, or a new Canon scanner on Amazon.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I got a Canon LiDE 400. I didn't need any multifunction utilities. About twice a year we find a need where something we have needs to be scanned and I needed something to fill that gap. We do have several large documents (Trust) that I'd like to scan but that's going to take some time. So far after about 10 scans I can say I'm happy with it.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

BROKEN after 1 year of VERY light use. First of all... on average I probably scan 3 items a month. I've owned this thing for 1 year. I had to scan 3 different documents this morning, the first 2 went fine and the third one has 2 inches of the left margin blacked out. I've tried to find a solution but none of the fixes for similar problems seem to work. I've removed and reinstalled everything and still no luck.

Here's the worst part, it seems like quality scanners have tripled in price since last years.

So I guess I'm back to having to spend another $200 this Christmas on myself.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hemm, this sounds terrible, to have this stop working with such light use. Is the light still functioning in that left margin area?
You may be able to find something on sale around Black Friday/Cyber Monday ;)
I have an Epson scanner that I rarely use, but I need it sometimes. They go for around $100 on fleabay still I think.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I ran it once with the top open and the light bar looks to be fully functional. From what I can find online it appears it needs a new light i.e. service. I need a scanner so I really don't have time to try and fix this myself and just need to buy another. And yes, I'm very disappointed.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I have an old Epson Perfection V30, works fine and I'm happy with it. They're like ~$50 shipped on eBay it seems, even though there are much newer models out there.
๑۩۞۩๑