So when are prices going to start dropping?

Anything related to hardware (CPU/MoBo/Video/FSB/BIOS, etc.), hardware settings, overclocking, cooling, cool cases, case mods, hardware mods, post pics of your unique creations here.
Easto
SG Elite

So when are prices going to start dropping?

Post by Easto »

I've been playing around with the idea of upgrading my board to an AMD 5950X. I thought once the new series of AMD processors came out we'd be seeing thing priced at bargain basement prices. They're just stuck right where they were 6 months ago. Memory prices seem to be trending lower and there are some really nice prices on 1TB M.2 drives, but the CPU prices look like they're just stuck and not moving down at all.

:(
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The AM4 motherboards are somewhat inexpensive, the X570 chipset I imagine.. Processors I'd wait for Cyber Monday, but I don't know what's happening with prices this year because of the economy/inflation/geopolitics/etc.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

IMO we won't see drops for a while. The overseas manufacturing have a big impact on prices.....tarifs, slowed production due to latest covid outbreaks wiping staffing in the factories, etc.
For over 2 years we've done OK with "stock/orders" as far as computers, servers, laptops, network equipment. It's sorta starting to hit us in some areas now...taking longer for our orders to get fulfilled, and prices are up a bit.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Philip wrote:The AM4 motherboards are somewhat inexpensive, the X570 chipset I imagine.. Processors I'd wait for Cyber Monday, but I don't know what's happening with prices this year because of the economy/inflation/geopolitics/etc.
I've got a nice X570 board (Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus), I just wanted to top if off with a Ryzen 9 5950X. That's the limit for this chipset and it would add a couple of cores. But... I thought by now I'd be seeing them @ $350. I can wait but I was hoping to make it my Christmas present to myself. Fortunately it's a "want" and not a "need".
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, I am pretty happy with my Ryzen 3700X, doesn't seem to be strained with most of what I do for now. I did upgrade my video card to a RTX3070. Will wait another year for a CPU/MoBo upgrade I imagine.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'm very happy with my 3700X too. So happy that I'm not really sure I should upgrade... but I'm going to. Then I seriously need a GPU upgrade. I'm running a Radeon RX 570 and although it does run well at 1080p it still falls behind almost everything that's out there. It's just that I'm not gaming at all and a $600 - $700 GPU would not give me the ROI for its limited use in gaming. Upgrading the CPU to a 5950X and a mid level GPU would let me do whatever it is that I would expect from a computer for a long time to come.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Depends on how many monitors you're running I guess... These days even web browsers use 3d acceleration and the GPU, so I splurged a bit. I like it.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Don't' get me wrong, I'd love to have a RTX 3070. I'd really like to go "bleeding edge" one of these years. I've never owned anything to brag about and I'd love to see what a high end card would look like on my 1440 monitor. I'm just afraid if I see how good some games look I'm might get sucked into that whole gaming world again! I shudder to think how much time I've spent gaming.

Regardless, I'm keeping my eye on prices and hoping Santa might be good to me this year.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I spent a lot of time gaming years ago as well, I think many of us did. I don't really have the time, or drive to get back into it, but I had a lot of fun, I don't regret it. Couldn't have imagined that phone gaming would become such a big thing. I saw that Google is introducing "Google Play Games beta", some official emulator for playing mobile games on PCs now even, heh.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Those AMD CPU prices haven't budged for 2 month. I thought for sure that after the new releases these last generation CPUs would come down fast. Boy was I wrong.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Their way to adjust for inflation I suppose, heh.
Easto
SG Elite

Re: So when are prices going to start dropping?

Post by Easto »

Amazon has the 5950x for $364

If my 3700X wasn't doing everything I need it to do... Damn, so tempted.
Philip
SG VIP

Re: So when are prices going to start dropping?

Post by Philip »

That's a big performance jump, from 24000 Passmark (Ryzen 5700) to 45000 Passmark for the Ryzen 5950x.

I would upgrade if you are able to actually max the CPU while doing some of your tasks, depends on how you use it, hehe.