Windows 11 Annoying Ads !!!

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Windows 11 Annoying Ads !!!

Post by Qui-Gon John »

So I have been helping someone with a new laptop. It has Windows 11 and he keeps getting these ads that come up. I am working remotely so I cannot be sure, but it looks like the ads are launching and showing in Edge. He has Firefox and it is set as the default browser. I have done many things to try and stop this, to no avail. I have installed Windows Update Blocker and set it to disable updates, inclding Disabling Update Orchestrator and Update Medic. I have turned off CoPilot. I have unchecked the entries for "Microsoft Experience and the 2 related ones in Notifications". I have added a couple registry entries I found that are supposed to stop CoPilot and also Ads.

How can I paste pics of this into this thread?
Last edited by Qui-Gon John on Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
SG VIP

Re: Windows 11 Annoying Ads !!!

Post by Philip »

First think I usually check is addons in the browser, and Control Panel installed programs. People tend to inadvertently install some questionable stuff.

You may also want to run some anti-spyware, like Malwarebytes (only single run on demand, no scheduled/resident stuff).
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Hi Philip. So I have looked thru Installed Programs and took off anything suspicious. One I took off, just because I didn't think it was needed was HP One Agent. Somehow it came back. Now at one point I had to do a SysRestore (so it is possible that brought this one back...his Recycle Bin was corrupt and attempts to fix that failed...so a SysRestore took care of that). The only addons in his Firefox is Ad Block Plus and UBlock Origin. I don't know what might be in Edge, because we didn't use it, except to get Firefox on the initial setup. It is a new laptop, just a couple weeks now. I put on Malwarebytes but have not run a scan with that. These seem to be all about Microsoft pushing CoPilot, MS 365 and 365 Mobile. So far it just seems to be an annoyance to him. He can click the X in the upper right hand corner, close it and go on. Until they popup again. But if I ever get a computer with Win 11 it would bug the crap out of me. This is one of the very negative aspects of the forced MS Updates. It's criminal we have to work so hard to stop these kinds of things from happening.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Does this article have anything that might work?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mst ... 146aee9075
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Easto wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:23 am
Does this article have anything that might work?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mst ... 146aee9075
Thanks, I had done some of this. But the next time I help this friend I will go thru each and every one and hopefully these will stop this.

Why can't MS just give us the OS and leave it up to us how we use it vs. trying to force us into this or that, which THEY want?