Open PDF in it's own window?

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Easto
SG Elite

Open PDF in it's own window?

Post by Easto »

I give up. I've been searching for a solution and either their isn't one or I can't find it. I have Chrome set as my PDF viewer. It works fine. What I can't seem to find is how to open up a PDF on my computer in a separate window (not tab) so that it doesn't open up a a new tab on an already opened Chrome window? Maybe it's just me but you don't know how many times I've had 3 or 4 tabs open in Chrome, opened a PDF and then when I thought I was closing that PDF I realize I just closed Chrome and all my open tabs have closed with it.
Mark

Post by Mark »

try control + shift clicking on the link maybe works on normal web pages in chrome
7950x~64GBGskill6000~asusx670e~rx6800~2TBNvme-OS drive~4TB-Nvme-scratch~500GB-SSD-thrash~10TB storage~Windows 10
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Thanks Mark but I couldn't get the results I was looking for. Basically I'm looking for some way to open a new Chrome/PDF window whenever I access a PDF file. I'm starting to think this may only be doable on a Registry level.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

I am not aware of any way to do that, but I've never tried. In the old days of having Adobe Reader installed of course it was...by default, much like a Word document.
But after Adobe lost their monopoly on PDFs...and browsers and even programs like Microsoft Word could work with PDFs...I stopped installing Adobe and just left it to the browsers.

I just use Chrome...and have been using Edge more and more. A quick Google search shows what you're looking for may be possible if you use Firefox...
https://superuser.com/questions/1604080 ... nt-desktop
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

can you right click on a PDF and choose a new default option for opening a PDF and choose chrome ?

* edit*
i was just able to do this on my windows seven PC, i chose open with chrome and it worked.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

^Mark^, not working on win 11. It still just adds a tab.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

If you choose a different default program for opening PDFs, they should sort of open in their own window?

Also, there was a Chrome setting whether to download or open PDFs, it should be under "Settings > Privacy and Security > Site Settings > Additional Content Settings > PDF Documents"
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑