Using Google credentials for other sites ?

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Easto
SG Elite

Using Google credentials for other sites ?

Post by Easto »

I come across web sites that will allow me to sign up or join their conversations by using my Google credentials rather than creating a whole new account just for that site. Are my login, password and most importantly email address passed on to these websites or is Google just acting as a gate keeper?
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

There's a mutual benefit here for both of them, sharing of info. Both ways. Remember..."free" things still have a cost to you, generally..when talking about online, it's information sharing.
I generally avoid it.

You can monitor which sites you've given access to in your Google account, Security...scroll down, and you'll find a few sections, "third-party apps with account access", and further down..."Signing into other sites". Signing in with Google. you can go remove access for those sites individually in this area.

I'm not 100% against it, I have a few sites in there..but they're more..well known sites. Of course, if they get "poached"...what information did Google share that...is now..poached.
But sites you're not aware of, if you find sites in there you don't know, I'd remove them.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Google shares your Name, email address, picture with those sites, but not a password. I use it sometimes.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Thanks for the info. I have a throw-a-way gmail account that I only use as access to g-maps and stuff like that. I only use the email from my phone since I don't have my usual working emails on my phone, only gmail. It's used mostly to move files around. Since the websites I would be using it with would basically be only 1 or 2 time uses I guess I have nothing to lose. But I would not want some of these sites using my gmail address and start seeing a lot of unwanted stuff in my inbox.