Windows 10 Won't Update

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Windows 10 Won't Update

Post by Lurch »

Hi,

When I tried to shut down the other night I selected "update and shut down" but it didn't shut down. I saw a message saying it can't update and is removing the partial update, then I had to turn off the PC myself. Can you tell me what I need to do here?

Thanks so much.

Joe
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Also, I can't log in to MS One Drive.
It won't send me a verify email when I select it.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Lurch wrote:Hi,

When I tried to shut down the other night I selected "update and shut down" but it didn't shut down. I saw a message saying it can't update and is removing the partial update, then I had to turn off the PC myself. Can you tell me what I need to do here?

Thanks so much.

Joe
I would go into System > Windows Update and try the update manually. If there was a problem with an Update it will usually mention it there.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yeah, manually retrying the update should work. You may want to do a disk cleanup and reboot beforehand.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Thanks for the tips.

It actually updated itself this afternoon. I left the PC on and when I came back to it a couple hours later, it was waiting for me to add my password, and then noticed it's updated because the "update and restart" option is no longer there. :)
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

It still has not updated. When I tried to update it manually from Windows Update, I got "Download Error 0x800F0922.

When I tried again to update and then restart my PC, it said

"We couldn't complete the updates.
Undoing changes.
Do not turn off your computer."

Got any other ideas what I might need to do now? Thank you.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Try "Settings" > "Windows Update" and then Get Help.

I know this is probably not the answer you're looking for but I would try updating again. Up until Windows 11 I've seen our other computer refuse an update and then later it seems to be good with it.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

First, make sure you have enough free space on the drive.
Also, in Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Cleanup System Files.

You can try to repair corrupt update files from admin command prompt (right-click on command prompt and choose to "Run as administrator")

Run this --> dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Easto wrote:Try "Settings" > "Windows Update" and then Get Help.

I know this is probably not the answer you're looking for but I would try updating again. Up until Windows 11 I've seen our other computer refuse an update and then later it seems to be good with it.
I ran Windows Update troubleshooter and it fixed something but it still won't update.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

First, make sure you have enough free space on the drive.
Also, in Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive > Properties > Disk Cleanup > Cleanup System Files.
I did these things and freed up about 20 GB of space. I already had about 149 GB of free space, now I have about 169 GB.
You can try to repair corrupt update files from admin command prompt (right-click on command prompt and choose to "Run as administrator")

I'm not sure how to "right click on the command prompt" but that sounds worth trying.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I also have my Dell 960 but I have a feeling that won't update either.
Maybe Microsoft wants to make more money on Windows 11.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I can't see how to right click command prompt. Sorry if I'm a PITA.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The easiest way to do this is, in the search box/icon right next to the Windows start button, search for command prompt, then right-click on the "Command Prompt" app, and choose to "Run as administrator".
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Philip wrote:The easiest way to do this is, in the search box/icon right next to the Windows start button, search for command prompt, then right-click on the "Command Prompt" app, and choose to "Run as administrator".
Oh, yeah. Now I see what you mean.
I will do all this later today. The "update and restart" isn't showing up on the shot down menu any more but I don't think it updated yet.
Thank you Philip.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Philip wrote:First, make sure you have enough free space on the drive.

I ran it and it completed successfully.
Now I'm trying to update with the optional quality update.
It might not be something I really have to get, but I'm trying to DL it anyway.
Thank you.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

For stubborn Windows updates, or even computers that have old versions of Windows 10 and I don't feel like doing 30 rounds of Microsoft updates to catch it up to latest release, I just download and run the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool"
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Run it right from desktop.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:For stubborn Windows updates, or even computers that have old versions of Windows 10 and I don't feel like doing 30 rounds of Microsoft updates to catch it up to latest release, I just download and run the "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool"
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

Run it right from desktop.
Thank you.
This seemed to solve my problem and I seem to be fully updated now.