It's password update day!

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Easto
SG Elite

It's password update day!

Post by Easto »

I got a call from our realtor and she said she got a really weird email from me. All she said was that it didn't make any sense. The first thing I thought was that my email account may have been hijacked. I asked several other people if they had received anything suspicious from me recently and everyone came back with a "no". Granted, this may just be a problem on her end but since I have a ton of free time this morning I'm going to be changing all our email and network (including router) passwords. I'm not really too worried about any of my internet passwords being hijacked since I do not use the same password twice there's little chance that if someone gets one of them they would be able to exploit any other accounts.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

And all that time I thought that email with MadDoc's secretary was sent from him... jk.

Ask her to look at the headers of the email (or forward them to you), that's where it can become apparent where it is actually coming from. People spoof emails all the time, but server paths/IPs are in the headers. It could actually be her account/PC that's being compromised.

Other than that seems you know what you're doing (not reusing emails, etc.)
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Nothing wrong with due diligence and changing the passwords regularly anyways....but, Realtors are heavily targeted (my wife is a Realtor)...they could have been watching HER account (or his?)...noticed emails to you, and just picked your name to "spoof".

Anyways, good, unique passwords are one thing, but passwords are only as secure as a flimsy screen door. Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) is what you want on ALL....ALL....you online accounts. MFA is the secure thick steel bank vault door!
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I use MFA on any sites that offer it.

Philip: I was going to ask her to send me the headers but I just thought I drop it and thank her for letting me know. I still might but I'm sure they're erased by now.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

What I find very weird is that some sites like Expedia who have actually had a breach in the past do not offer any 2FA. Even Marriott rewards does not offer it in a standard account.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I suppose they figure it is connected to your email so you can always reset your password.