Windows 11 ?

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Easto
SG Elite

Windows 11 ?

Post by Easto »

My newest build which is about 8 months old has no problem meeting the Win 11 requirements, but my wife uses an old Del Inspiron 660 that's failing the CPU, TPM and a couple of other requirements. The Dell is primarily used by my wife and doesn't get that much exercise, just surfing the internet and email.. How long will Win 10 remain viable before they expect to phase it out? I know it's probably years away but I was just wondering.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The Windows 10 "retirement" date is in Oct 2025, Microsoft will be actively issuing updates until then, so you have plenty of time.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Mark

Post by Mark »

ii'm gonna try a VM of windows 11 one of these nights soon, i am still on windows 7 :)
7950x~64GBGskill6000~asusx670e~rx6800~2TBNvme-OS drive~4TB-Nvme-scratch~500GB-SSD-thrash~10TB storage~Windows 10
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Windows 7? For why :eek:
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Mark wrote:ii'm gonna try a VM of windows 11 one of these nights soon, i am still on windows 7 :)
You don't know what you're missing. I have never regretted the upgrade to version 10. Come to think about it, I can't remember having any kind of glitch or lockup since using Win 10. I'll be upgrading to 11 as soon as they make it available to me.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Just a couple of registry edits to get past the things like...."no TPM". You should be able to get any computer (within reason) to have Win11 start installing.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Mark

Post by Mark »

well no luck as my PC hardware doesn't support windows 11, i may have to find a work around, any ideas?
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Mark wrote:well no luck as my PC hardware doesn't support windows 11, i may have to find a work around, any ideas?
I'd be interested to know if the "edits" cover multiple problems. My wife's computer is also getting the error that the CPU doesn't comply and I can't remember the other ones.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Did you try the registry edit AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... e77ac7c70e
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Why is this rollout taking so long? I was reading that it's going to continue into 2022, why not just make it available and get it over with? I know I can get the ISO, but I was just wondering why they're dragging their feet on releasing this version?
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Where are you seeing it not work?
Every "new" computer we unbox, setup on the bench, and prepare for a customer...is prompting to upgrade to 11 when we run Microsoft updates before bringing it to the customer.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Windows Update. When I run it I'm told...

"Great news—your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows*11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you."

I know I can probably do the ISO route but I was hoping to do the upgrade online.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Eh much like Windows 10 upgrades from Win7...just go to the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows11

BAM, done!
Guinness for Strength!!!
erpguy2

Post by erpguy2 »

Easto wrote:Windows Update. When I run it I'm told...

"Great news—your PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows*11. Specific timing for when it will be offered can vary as we get it ready for you."

I know I can probably do the ISO route but I was hoping to do the upgrade online.
back then you had to wait weeks or even a few months for the Win11 upgrade offer to be available thru windows update because it was only offered to few select devices & systems

cnet - Windows 11 has arrived, but here's why not everyone will get the upgrade yet

Microsoft said the launch will be "phased and measured," with new eligible devices getting the upgrade first and the rest getting offered the free upgrade sometime between October and mid-2022, depending on your hardware, age of device and other factors. You'll get a notification from Windows Update letting you know when Windows 11 is available to you, or you can check manually

Microsoft was only limiting the upgrade to a few select computers when Win11 was first released but around mid-November 2021 and early 2022, they have offered the Win11 upgrade to more qualified or eligible machines (the HP Spectre x360 2020 laptop with 10th gen Intel CPU hardware my younger bro is using was offered the Win11 upgrade thru WU but I declined/refused it - I'll wait until HP provides updated & Win11 compatible drivers for it)

XDA Developer - Microsoft is ahead of schedule on its Windows 11 rollout because people just love it