Damn you ExpressVPN!

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Grimson
SG Elite

Damn you ExpressVPN!

Post by Grimson »

They had become my favorite VPN but now have sold to a company known for malware distribution (Kape Technologies) and also have a shady CTO (Dan Gericke).

So, I'm looking for a new VPN. Giving Mullvad a shot since it seems to be a favorite among everyone jumping off the ExVPN boat. Anyone here have a VPN they like?
Crackin' skulls and breaking kneecaps.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I use IPVanish...
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Norm
SG VIP

Post by Norm »

Proton VPN

The VPN many politicians use. Including Hillary Clinton. (so I heard.....)
It has a free version that allows 3 different countries servers, and it is fast.
Check it out at https://protonvpn.com/

Versions for Windows , and Linux. (Linux version now has a GUI)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Thanks for sharing Norm, a good free VPN is always useful, especially if it's decent speed for browsing, etc.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Norm
SG VIP

Post by Norm »

Philip wrote:Thanks for sharing Norm, a good free VPN is always useful, especially if it's decent speed for browsing, etc.
I forgot to mention....
Strict no logs policy
All apps are open source and audited
High-speed connections (up to 10 Gbit)
Based in Switzerland - (Gotta love the Swiss)

I get about 75% or so of my connection speed when using it. Still fast enough for me.
You can download files from websites and browse free, but no peer to peer unless you pay.

and
Some VPN's will leak your IP under certain circumstances
I've done some IP leak checking with Proton and never had a leak so far.

Obviously the paid version is better, but free gives the user a good VPN to browse and download.
Free servers are in Japan, U.S. and ? - i Forget the 3rd country, maybe Turkey or a South American country with more than one free server per country.

Some VPN's are not actually VPN's but chained proxies, and leak like strainers.

Another choice besides using a VPN is of course the Tor browser