Outlook & Verizon.Net Email

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Outlook & Verizon.Net Email

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Trying to setup for someone their verizon.net email in Outlook (2013 but I don't think the version makes much difference).

I checked the settings online and put them in. Also tested the password on the web email (which uses aol.com), it worked, so I know the correct password.

I am thinking I have to allow "unsafe applications" or something like that. But could not find it in the settings.

Can anyone help who may have successfully done this?

Thanks,
John
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi John,

Why do you have to allow "unsafe applications" Hmm. When you set the Outlook email account, these days under "Control Panel > User Accounts > Mail", or the older way under the Outlook account settings, you can always go "Advanced"/"Manual" setup.

There, you have a few options under the "POP/IMAP account settings" - set the email/name, incoming/outgoing mail server, username/password.

Click on "More settings", tick "My outgoing server requires authentication"

Lastly, under "Advanced", you may have to change the "Outgoing server port" from 25 to something like 2525, as many residential ISPs block the outgoing mail port.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Hi Philip, I did all that. But I just helped another person with an AOL email that she could not get on Apple Mail on her iPhone (an older one that would not take the AOL App, due to old iOS). I found you can create an "App Password" then use that. So I intend to try this with my friend who has the verizon.net email (since it goes thru AOL). This "App Password" is like the setting I know of on GMAIL, which says you have to allow access with what they call "unsafe applications", basically same thing.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Not much of an Apple person, so I can't offer much help there. I do know that on iPhones' default mail client, some of the advanced mail settings need to be set after you add the account. For example, you can't set the username, or ports when adding the account, you have to go to "Settings > Accounts" after adding it.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Well the person I helped with their iPhone. We had to delete the account. Then on her PC I created the "App Password". Then we added the account back in, taking Apple's default option for AOL, then used her email address and the new "App Password" and it all worked. We did not have to add other settings (although the instructions I found online had some we would have tried, if the prior did not work). For my other person I am helping, her email is a "verizon.net" and it is on her PC that she wants to use Outlook. But she currently checks it in the browser, and Verizon has her use aol.com. So I think if I go there and create her an "App Password", then put that into Outlook, I should be able to get it working. At least that is how it all seems, right now.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

If you have the correct mail server, user/password, ports settings in Outlook it should work, even without that "app password" I think.
Have you tried the settings mentioned here: https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i- ... n-net-mail
Seems that you can use Verizon servers..

POP 3 Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net, Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
POP3-995-SSL SMTP-465-SSL

IMAP Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com, Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
IMAP-993-SSL SMTP-465-SSL
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

"App Password" is a bandaid to help legacy software work with MFA enabled accounts (multi factor authentiation). Because legacy (old, no longer supported) apps cannot support "modern authentication"

The setting for GMail to "allow less secure applications" is similar...yet not the same, you have to flip that on with GMail when using old/legacy (no longer supported) versions of Outlook. You need this setting even if you have MFA disabled in the GMail acount. It's just...Outlook 2013 doesn't support the encryption GMail requires for passwords. https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 0255?hl=en

Gmail and Outlook...are like oil and water. GMail was designed primarily to be web mail based. Outlook was designed first and foremost to connect with Exchange Server...it's a corporate email client. POP and IMAP support were added later as an afterthought...and..done poorly at that. Especially with IMAP.

I'd double check your in/out server names, ports, and SSL/TLS settings.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Philip, yes that is the exact webpage I found the settings for. Did not work, even though I just tested the password with the web browser email login.

YoS, thanks for the info about the various "bandaids".

I hope to connect with this woman one day this week. I will double-check the settings, if that fails, I will attempt to set an "App Password" on the AOL Security Page and see if that does the trick. Like I said, for a different person I was helping, it let her AOL.com email address work in iOS Email on her older iPhone.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

So I just finished connecting to this friend remotely. I verified the server info, it was already all correct. I then created an App Password on the AOL.com Security page for her. I entered that as the password in Outlook 2013 and now it works. I went in search of this the first time, but I was looking in the Mail Options (Settings) part of AOL. But you actually have to go to a different page, login.aol.com/account/security. Anyway, got it working.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Interesting... Thanks for sharing.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Get 'em on a supported version of Outlook.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

They prefer not to go to the annual subscription required for Office 365.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Office 2016/2019 is not subscription based, I prefer it to Office 365 as well. I don't think the version of Office would make much difference, seems more like an AOL thing.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

I think a lot of mail providers are requiring something like this. On Yahoo and I think GMail they call it "allow less secure apps" (they're looking for you to do webmail or use the YMail or AOL app). AOL has this "App Password", but same principal. My email address is a bellsouth.net. I had to generate a "secure password" and use that on my Outlook 2013. I don't have a "free" copy of 2016 or 2019 to upgrade to, not upgrade others too. But my 2013 works fine, now that I added the "secure password" AT&T (Bellsouth) is requiring. Personally, I think these companies are taking it too far, mandating things like this. If they want to give people an option to use Two Factor, etc., that is one thing. But it should not be forced on people.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

sangrosenfekl82, that will usually do it. Uninstall Outlook (or preferably all of the newer version of Office). Do a cleanup (CCLEANER). Reboot, then install the older version you prefer. Although I now use Office 2013 on my PC and wife's laptop, I have still successfully used Office 2007 for some people. The copy I have includes a License Code you can paste in, no licensing or activation issues. Works fine for basic word processing or spreadsheet work and the Outlook on it works too. Though now, occasionally you have to do one of these "band-aids", (app password or allow less safe apps, etc.).