Windows Defender Updates

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Easto
SG Elite

Windows Defender Updates

Post by Easto »

Is there any way to have Windows Defender Updates install automatically? I'm pretty sure I have my update settings set correctly, but unless I click on check for updates they don't show. For example, this morning I did a manual check for updates during my hours of operation and nothing came up. 2 hours later I check it again and there is a Defender update available. I'd really like to have these updates installed silently and automatically. What can I do to enable this function? Of hand the only think I can think of is to create a task that searches and runs the update engine every hour.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I think they install automatically, just not often enough when left alone. There are multiple ways to make it update more often..

See this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -antivirus

You can also set a new Task in Task Scheduler, if you prefer:
The program/script to start should be: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe"
The "Add arguments" field should have this in it: -SignatureUpdate
Then set your interval... I haven't tested it, but that should do it.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑