Windows Activiation on new build

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Easto
SG Elite

Windows Activiation on new build

Post by Easto »

I went from Win 7 to the free Win 10 upgrade a long time ago (on my old pc). Now, with my new build I'm trying to install a valid registration number but it's not letting me. I've searched the web and all I can seem to find is a bunch of convoluted fixes that seem like hacks. I want to keep this legit. I've tried going through MS troubleshooter which is supposed to put you in contact with someone but it keeps kicking me out.

I was think of hooking up my old C drive as an external drive and it would find the license on that and then validate win? I'm open to suggestions.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Im most cases there are no more registration keys with Windows 10, it's rather a digital license. Activation/license is validated in one of two ways:
-- linked to your PC hardware (when you change MoBo this wouldn't work)
-- linked to your Microsoft Account - when changing motherboard you'd want to follow this path.

So then, the steps to transfer your license are:
1) Boot with the old hard drive, the activated Windows 10.
2) Link your activated Windows to your Microsoft account
3) Boot into your new Windows, and activate by logging into your Microsoft account. You don't have to enter a license key.
4) Optionally, choose to log into windows with a local account instead of MS account, after activation is successful.

There are many resources on the net about it, but essentially it boils down to the above steps.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 3fc72b6665

There may be an exception if you purchased a retail copy of Windows 10 and have a Windows 10 registration key, but it doesn't apply to your case. Most licenses are digital and you have to follow the above.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Thanks, I'll report back later once I've given that a try. It might not be until later. I'm still trying to familiarize myself with the new bios and drivers.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Phillip, sorry but 1 more question re#1. Removing my m.2 is going to be a pain. When you say boot into my old drive... can I just plug it in as the system sits right now and only access the activation sequence or do I have to disable the m.2 and run the machine as if the old C drive is my primary drive?

Sorry about the confustion.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You have to boot from the old drive. You can change which drive the system boots from in the BIOS, so you shouldn't have to physically unplug the M.2

Hopefully it will boot and it will not deactivate Windows because of the new Mobo...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Thanks.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Were you able to activate it ok? Just curious..
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

No, I had to buy a new license. I called them and the error code was not going to let it happen. It's alright, at least now I know I have a license that I can move around with me and not have to worry about.