PDF Reader

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Easto
SG Elite

PDF Reader

Post by Easto »

I'm rethinking all the new programs that I'll need on my new PC build and I started thinkin about the pdf reader I'm using, Foxit Reader. Is there any reason I should change? Is there a better supported and recognized program everyone is using? I'm looking for something with a large following that gets updated security revisions and has decent support.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It depends on your needs I suppose.. For simple PDF opening/saving/reading any program will do, even web browsers can open them directly these days. I use Adobe Acrobat Reader, another good lightweight is Javelin PDF Reader.
As a bigger suite that can fill out and save forms, edit/annotate PDFs, etc. the most popular two are Adobe Acrobat and Foxit I think.
I've heard good things about Sumatra PDF, it is apparently fast and can also read ebook formats, but it does not support forms, I haven't tried it personally.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

For just reading, these days browsers handle it just fine. Since Chrome is my daily driver browser...my reader is Chrome.
One less program to maintain updates on.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

YeOldeStonecat wrote:For just reading, these days browsers handle it just fine. Since Chrome is my daily driver browser...my reader is Chrome.
One less program to maintain updates on.
This.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi CableDude :)

Unless you have to fill out forms and save the PDFs that way.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I'm still leaning towards a stand alone program. The reason I asked was sort of inline with YeOlde's response. I've noticed that a lot of stuff is opening up in my browser. I do not create PDF other that from possibly a word document etc. I do nothing custom with a PDF
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I sometimes fill out PDF forms and save them filled out, can't do that with a browser.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Philip wrote:I sometimes fill out PDF forms and save them filled out, can't do that with a browser.
That is a good point and I'll need to try that out. Several years ago I was transferring a lot of stock and other things from my father's estate and most of the sites offered up the PDF forms to fill out online and then they gave you the chance to print and save them. I'll have to see how that works without a PDF reader installed.