Outlook & GMAIL Problem

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Outlook & GMAIL Problem

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Just helped someone out configuring Outlook on his laptop (which he had) and his new Desktop, Win 10. I got it all setup. He uses POP (and changing to IMAP would be a hassle as he has lots of folders and contacts in his PST).

Anyway, all works. except, even though both Mail Configurations say "LEAVE MESSAGES ON SERVER" it seems whichever one checks his mail, the messages that download into that Outlook will not download into Outlook on the other computer.

I have setup similar for many people in the past, and never ran into this issue. So I am wondering if it is just a Gmail thing. We did a test, I emailed him, it made it to Gmail server (message shows in Web Mail). Downloaded into his Desktop, but even when he forces send/receive on laptop, that message did not download to the laptop.

Also, on his phone he has gotten all the emails (but it is probably IMAP...how most phones normally function).

Any help would be most appreciated.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I found this online. I'm not 100% sure it's what you're looking for but it's worth a try...

" the accounts trying to access your email need to change their mailfetcher settings and type recent:youremailaddress @ gmail.com"
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Can you give me context, the link or something? thanks
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Outlook and GMail...horrible horrible combination..I flat out will not support it. IMAP is a bit better than POP for many reasons...especially when you check email from multiple devices. If he has all his folders in a local PST and his computer crashes....BOOM..out of luck, all gone. With IMAP...or better yet....Office 365...I can blow up my computer every day of the week, fetch a new one, sign in...and PRESTO..all my email, contacts, calendars, notes..etc...all right there, didn't skip a beat!

GMail...use Chrome browser!
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Most likely one of his devices is configured not to leave messages on server (or configured to use IMAP?)... Typically there is also a phone/mobile device or some other mail client deleting them.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Both the laptop and desktop are DEFINITELY set to LEAVE MESSAGES ON SERVER. He does get them on his phone, I think I said this. And most likely, that uses IMAP (I think that's the only way email works on phones). But I helped him remote, so I could not look at this. If that one device is IMAP, would that break the normal operation of POP3 to (2) Outlooks, properly configured?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Yes, it is both possible and likely for the phone to break the pattern. You can test by putting the phone in airplane mode for a while, then send some email and see if it remains on server for both the PC and laptop.

It is possible to configure phones for POP, it is a bit more involved and depends on the mail app. Most people just give up this device hunting and switch all to IMAP, because tomorrow when he switches his phone, or any of his devices, he may lose all his new email again ;)
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

This is where I got my info...
https://support.google.com/mail/forum/A ... Ac3K46S7-M

I have tried to get gmail to play with outlook too, and I would never do/try it again. I had nothing but problems.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Coming in late, however, most phones do not have the options that computers and laptops have. As an example, we have about 25-30 (Verizon) phones. When you delete an email on the phone before the other devices have downloaded it, it will be gone, the other devices will never see it... No way to stop it, as there is no settings to do so...

Tell them to not delete any emails on the phone until all other devices have received...

I hope that you resolved the problem and Happy Birthday!
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Well we worked out how he would use them procedurally, so I think we are fine.
Thanks for the birthday wish!