Keep Running Win7 or Switch to Win10?

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Keep Running Win7 or Switch to Win10?

Post by Lurch »

Hi. The Geek Squad dude in Best Buy told me I should ditch Win 7 ASAP and move up to Win10. It didn't dawn on me tat he's trying to drum up new sales of PCs, software, or whatever. I've been running Win 7 with an SSD for a HD and it runs nice. Yesterday I saved all my files to an external drive and then too the SSD out and tried to install it in my other Dell tower PC but was not successful so I ran the Win10 as is and it runs OK.
I was thinking about having a guy at a computer repair place install the SSD in the Win10 machine, then I was talking to some guy who suggested I keep running Win 7, even after MS stops supporting it in 2020.

What would you do? Would the Win7 PC get unstable and would I have any chance of getting ripped off or hacked if I ran it past 2019?

Or would I be better off to stay on Win 10 with or without the SSD?

Thanks again.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Personally I think upgrading (if you would call it that) is a no-brainer. I've found Win 10 to be exceptional and trouble free. Each MS OS seems to just get better.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Just a couple of points. Basically you can't stop 10 from updating. You can prolong the updates, however you can't stop them.
Keep in mind that MS is wanting to change from buying to subscriptions...
Have you read the 10 EULA? End User License Agreement.

I have many computers (20-25) running on 7 and I see it as, 'If it ain't broke, why fix it'...
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Thanks for the replies. Part of the reason why I like my Win7 Dell more is because it's got a nice running Sandisk SSD in it. My Win10 PC does not, and it's really sluggish at times. I went back on the Win10 PC for a few days and last night, I had to get back to my nice running SSD Win 7 PC. I might as well pick up another SSD and see if I can get it installed into the Win10 PC, then I'll have both. Win 10 with SSD should be a much better running OS.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I think if both my Dell PCs were equipped with SSD HDs, it wouldn't matter to me as much which PC I run. But it's good to have a good running spare PC just in case of a problem. I only have about $200 invested into both of them. I buy them for $50 to $100 each and run them for 5 years each.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

That is really cheap for a PC, great buys. SSD is the best upgrade you can make, smaller ones are really inexpensive, although they may sacrifice some reliability.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I got the 240 GB SanDisk SSD installed into the Win10 PC and SandDisk helped me initialize the SSD and then sent me a link to free Acronis True Image Cloning software which worked like a charm and took about 15 minutes to do. Then I formatted the older HD to use for storage. Win10 runs a lot nicer with this SSD for sure. This upgrade cost me a whole $31.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I'm amazed at how much better Windows 10 runs now that it's running on my new SanDisk SSD Plus 240 GB SSD. It seems to be faster than my Win 7 PC, so maybe I'll stay on this PC instead. It's lightning fast using MS Edge browser. The guy at Best Buy said I might need to increase my RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB but I don't think so. It runs damn good like this, but I don't do gaming. I just do Facebook forums, eBay, amazon, etc.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Glad to hear everything is running smoothly. Personally I think the move to 10 is a good one.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I like Windows 10 as well, at least for personal use - it doesn't require more resources than 7, seems cleaner, etc. Ken is right that less control over your own PCs and the Windows updates may be an issue in a business environment.
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

The one thing that I find annoying about Win 10 is how they've buried a lot of the controls. You sometimes really have to dig deep in order to disable a feature or service.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You are right, it seems like they've just slapped a new Windows 10 interface to do the simpler tasks, and default back to the old Control Panel interfaces for more advanced settings. The newer interfaces, including PowerShell cmdlets are not 100% replacements for the older functionality.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Personally I love Win10. When it's on an SSD...it's wicked fast.
Rock stable, works great on laptops..opening/shutting the laptop lid a dozen or two dozen times a day as I do my work around clients and from home or traveling,...
No reason IMO to stick to an OS that is on its way out. Soon as next Jan comes around MS stops those security updates to Win7 and each additional day past that, you're skating on thinner and thinner ice as you go out around the internet.

We're upgrading clients from Win7 to 10 by the truckload....if they have a spindle hard drive, we clone to an SSD, updates drivers 'n BIOS, run the Win10 upgrade, and it's done in about an hour or so.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

I downloaded the newer firmware update for the SSD also which seems to have made it even faster. It often starts up and I can be on facebook in about 30 seconds which I find amazing. In the BIOS I disabled some of the things from the boot order. I'm not sure if that made it start up and/or shut down faster but it seemed to.

Now that I'm liking Windows 10 so much with the SSD, I'd like to make my Win7 PC a spare Win10 PC if possible. I have a formatted empty 160 GB HD in this Win 10 PC. Would it be OK if I cloned the Win10 using the True Image software and pasted it onto this 160 GB HD, and then format my Win 7 SSD and put Win10 on that after transferring the 160 GB HD to it under the SSD? I want to set up a spare Win 10 PC somehow, just in the remote chance that this Win10 PC has trouble some day. I have the Win10 on a Dell 960 which seems healthy.
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

Win10 was soooo sluggish with the non SSD HD. Just going from one window to another would often times give me a white screen, with a PC that didn't have enough oooomph to know what it was doing. Now I can transfer images via SD card, edit and save them with no hesitation. Such a worthwhile addition. :)
Lurch
Advanced Member

Post by Lurch »

My Win7 PC refused to start yesterday when I hooked it up to see about upgrading it to Win10. I took it to a PC shop where the man found I had a RAM issue and he pushed both RAM bars in, and it started. He said the Win7 (A Dell GX620), isn't good enough to run Win10, so I will leave Win7 in it and possibly run it, or at least keep it as a spare, but I've fallen in love with Win10 with SSD which is a Dell 960.
erpguy2

Post by erpguy2 »

Ken wrote: Keep in mind that MS is wanting to change from buying to subscriptions...
there were some rumors about that but with Win10 that has not actually happened yet as noted by this ZDNet article by Ed Bott:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... -thats-ok/
The free upgrade offer was a trap, they insisted. After Microsoft had lured in a few hundred million suckers with that offer, they were going to start charging for subscriptions. Five years later, that still hasn't happened.
Doz1

Post by Doz1 »

I upgraded my Win 7 machine to windows 10 LTSC, and everything is going smooth so far. I can't speak the same for other editions of Windows 10 as I haven't tried them.
Ronald Familia

Post by Ronald Familia »

My computer uses Win7, but it is too old for many software to be compatible. My laptop is Win10 and I think it works very well.
erpguy2

Post by erpguy2 »

Doz1 wrote:I upgraded my Win 7 machine to windows 10 LTSC, and everything is going smooth so far. I can't speak the same for other editions of Windows 10 as I haven't tried them.
do NOT use Win10 Home edition. very difficult to control updates on the Home edition as MS may install updates on their schedule.
at least with Win10 Pro, there are options to delay or defer quality updates and big feature updates
on Win10 LTSC, updates could be delayed or deferred indefinitely, and no big feature updates will be offered

btw, support for most Win10 editions will end in mid-October 2025 (except for the LTSB 2016 & LTSC 2019 editions which have different end-of-support dates)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecy ... me-and-pro
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecy ... -education
techy

Post by techy »

Windows 10 Pro, best solution.