The FREE Antivirus thread

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You have a good point, I've been using Windows Defender myself, it is much lighter than others, it provides some good baseline security, and does not interfere with web/email/etc.

I do like to keep some other tools to run on-demand as needed, like Malwarebytes and CCleaner, but I explicitly go through the settings to prevent them from running in the background.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
robby24

Post by robby24 »

Of the free antiviruses, I can only recommend AVIRA Free. After scanning the archives, I always found Trojans. At the same time, the Windows defender was silent.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Philip wrote:I find myself simply using Windows Defender these days, I may run an on-demand Malwarebytes or CCleaner if need be.
I still run like this, even for people I help. Unless they have a strong hankering for Norton or McAfee. I have enabled Malwarebytes background protection for some people. Seems to add another layer of protection, in case Win Def misses something.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Same here, I find many third-party antivirus solutions too heavy-handed and resource-hungry at times.