Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Definition Updates

General software, Operating Systems, and Programming discussion.
Everything from software questions, OSes, simple HTML to scripting languages, Perl, PHP, Python, MySQL, VB, C++ etc.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Definition Updates

Post by Qui-Gon John »

I use Free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v. 1.75.0.1300 because I never liked V 2.0 when it came out. They went away from Quick Scan/Full Scan to other naming and I think different types of scans. It also seemed buggy on early trys of using it. Staying with 1.75 has worked fine for me all these many years. It still does what the core functions of MBAM was designed to.

Well now I see the most recent update is from 4 days ago. Is that just a quirk or have they stopped allowing us to update that version? What are other good options for standalone, ad-hoc, malware scans and removals?
Easto
SG Elite

Re: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Definition Updates

Post by Easto »

I'm running 4.5.14 and it let's me update. I'm running the free version. Never been buggy for me.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I just download one of the latest versions and go through all the settings to turn off memory-resident stuff, it's a bit of a pain. I don't like the newer interface either, but it's free and does the job.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Philip wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:40 am
I just download one of the latest versions and go through all the settings to turn off memory-resident stuff, it's a bit of a pain. I don't like the newer interface either, but it's free and does the job.
From what I see, the latest version is for Malware and for Virus? Is that correct? Because I like to use Windows Security (Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender) MS love to keep changing the name, for my Anti-Virus. Or if you get the free Malwarebytes, is the Virus function disabled?

It friggin annoys the C out of me that these software companies keep changing things (like the not as good or friendly interface of the older versions of MBAM). CCleaner is another one I rely on heavily, but they've messed up their versions a lot. Especially the ones that were sending data back to mama. Why do companies have to take a good product and turn it to S.

It's really weird that when I go in the version I have, and tell it to update. I get no error, no banner telling me updates are no longer available. Just a message that I have the latest update. Which is now 5 days old.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

You're right, it seems they changed the wording from Antimalware to "Total Desktop Protection", including anti-virus... Haven't tried it.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

I just took another look on their website. Do they even have a free version anymore? Because I could not find one. Cheapest thing I saw was Standard 1 Device for $44.99 a year.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Has anyone tried Malwarebytes free "Browswer Guard"? It claims to be an add blocker too.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I like to keep my browser addons and anti-virus light on resources, Ublock origin is good enough for me to block annoying ads. As far as more "advanced" browser protections, I tried a few long time ago, but they seemed to slow down browsing, and were heavy on resources, I did not like them.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Philip, totally agree. That is what bugs me about so many programs. They add more bloat as time goes on, and it affects performance.