Read First

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Philip
SG VIP

Read First

Post by Philip »

Broadband Hardware Database
For a list of broadband hardware, including routers, modems, firewalls, VoIP gateways, etc. and their features, visit our Broadband Hardware Database

FAQs and Glossary
We have a Frequently Asked Questions and a good Glossary (close to 300 terms) on the main site that can use some additional input, and can prove a good information source...

If you have question/answer or a telecommunications term/definition that you don't see there and you think we should add, please PM/Email me.
Thanks, all feedback is welcome :)

Philip

Forum Purpose:
This forum is for the support of cable and DSL users. Technical questions, comments, asides, etc, are all welcomed. Please avoid simply complaining about your ISP, their level of customer service, their technicians, etc.

Kip

Uncapping posts
Uncapping cable modems is very different than tweaking your end of the connection. While tweaking is completely legal and even endorsed and recommended by ISPs, uncapping means breaking into your modem and changing the cap imposed by your Internet provider, and therefore might be considered theft of service.
Please understand that uncapping your cable modem is illegal and we, the staff of Speed Guide, Inc., Do Not condone it!

Before posting questions about uncapping, please read our editorial here:

Uncapping Editorial

Also, please check previous threads, it's been discussed 100s of times.

As a guideline, we allow discussions pertaining to ways to uncap cable modems to address security issues in the DOCSIS standard, however posts asking "How do I uncap my modem" will not be tolerated.

Information about hacking and uncapping DOCSIS Cable modems has been made public in the early 2000s. It was not a flaw in the standard, rather some operators that failed to secure their networks properly.