What is the download speed?

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
nasrrero

What is the download speed?

Post by nasrrero »

I have a Google Fiber subscription that advertises a maximum internet speed of 1000 megabits per second.

According to my speed test, my download speed is about 40 megabits per second (mbps), however in reality, I can only get a download speed of around 5-8 mbpsdrift boss I am experiencing a congestion that is preventing me from downloading at a quicker rate.

Nevertheless, I am not inclined to rectify that issue as the current pace remains exceptionally rapid. I'm inquiring whether downgrading to a 500 mbps internet connection would result in a comparable download speed.

I prefer not to incur charges for usage beyond my present needs. I prefer downgrading instead of resolving the issue, as resolving the issue would likely necessitate relocating my computer downstairs to where the router is and establishing a direct ethernet connection to prevent any bottlenecking.

Summary

What is the download speed in megabytes per second for internet speeds of 100, 300, 500, and 1000 provided by your internet service provider? (An approximate calculation is acceptable) I require this for the purpose of referencing.
Last edited by nasrrero on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip
SG VIP

Re: What is the download speed?

Post by Philip »

You should not see any speed difference if you downgrade.
If you're only getting 5-8 mbps on your wireless, you can ugprade your Wi-Fi router, or try to compare what the speed is over a wired ethernet connection.

The difference between megabits per second and Megabytes per second is close to 10:1... so 500 megabits should get you close to 50 Megabytes. We have a conversion calculator here:
https://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php
nasrrero

Re: What is the download speed?

Post by nasrrero »

Thank you so much!