Slow Upload Speed All of A Sudden

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
cjohnston2

Slow Upload Speed All of A Sudden

Post by cjohnston2 »

I have a Netgear 1900 c7000v2 modem/router (installed in April 2019) ethernetted to my PC (new in March 2019). I have the Cox Internet Preferred 250 plan (250 download and 10 upload) and normally get about 280-290 mbps download and 10-11 mbps upload. Recently, I noticed I am only getting 0.6 mbps on the upload. I have reset the modem, changed the port and cable, checked for updates, etc. I have good channel locking on 24 of 24 download channels and 4 or 8 upload channels. I switched to wifi and got 230 on the download and 10.8 on the upload, ie pretty normal for wifi with the other PCs/Laptops in the house that operate on wifi. So, what is wrong? Any idea if I have a mechanical problem with the modem/router, or the PC?

Not sure what specs might be useful, but:
Dell XPS 8930 (Apr 2019)
Intel i7-8700 @ 3.2 ghz
16 RAM
Win 10 22H2
Killer E2400 gb Ethernet Controller
Qualcomm QCA 9377 802.11ac Wireless Adapter
Nvidia GEforce GTX 1050 Ti
Baseboard Dell, ODF425, A00

Thanks
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

If you're getting 10 Mbps on Wi-Fi, but only 0.6 Mbps on Ethernet, this would point to a problem with your PC or cabling. I would start with reinstalling/updating Network Adapter drivers, then going through all the adapter settings. Ddisable Energy-efficient Ethernet, packet coalescing, etc. There is a more extensive list here: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/net ... ation-3449

Also, check your PC for software that may be using up all available bandwidth, some routers also allow you to see bandwidth utilization per client.

I hope this gives you some pointers.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
cjohnston2

Post by cjohnston2 »

The problem is with Killer. I uninstalled the Killer Intelligence Center from the Start/Programs list, and uninstalled the Killer E2400 GB Ethernet Controller from Control Panel-Programs-Programs and Features. Restarted the PC and Speedtest has me getting my expected 8 ping, 286 download and 10.46 upload. Some folks on the Dell forum have said Windows auto update will reload killer and restart the problem. If that happens I will try to disable it in services or task manager. One person said the only solution is to stop automatic Windows updates.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Thanks for following up and posting the solution. That "Killer Intelligence Center" application is Dell software, if it gets reinstalled it's probably the Dell updates, rather than Windows updates. I would disable Dell automatic updates and review them periodically.