How to select dialup adapter?

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
ray5450

How to select dialup adapter?

Post by ray5450 »

I am trying to use TCPOptimizer for my dialup connection. In the Network Adapter selection list, my dialup adapter is not showing there. I tried the newest version of TCPOptimizer and 3.08, but no dialup appears. Where is it?

Thanks.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Depends on the Operating System version I suppose... You should still be able to apply most of the settings even if the adapter doesn't show in the list.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

It appears to me that it is wanting me to choose the correct adapter to apply it to, and I cannot. Are you saying that it will apply it to my dial up adapter even though it is not on the list to apply it?
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The majority of important settings are not adapter-specific, so yes, it will apply them to your system in general. The few adapter-specific settings may not apply to dialup adapters anyway.

Yes, you are ok and benefiting from using it even if the adapter does not show in the adapter list.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Okay, thank-you, I'll try it.

I am unable to find these settings. I found a list for dial up on another site. Could you tell me where to find these:

TCP Receive Window
MTU Discovery
Black Hole Detect
Selective ACKs
Max Dup ACKs
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Okay, thank-you, I'll try it.

I am unable to find these settings. I found a list for dial up on another site. Could you tell me where to find these:

TCP Receive Window
MTU Discovery
Black Hole Detect
Selective ACKs
Max Dup ACKs
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

(Somehow, previous posted twice--was not intentional)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Depends on your version of Windows. In general, you can't set the TCP Receive Window with newer versions (Windows 7/8/10). With dialup, you may want to test disabling TCP Receive Window auto-tuning (just called "TCP Window" in the Optimizer).

For setting some of the other settings you mention, you may have to use netsh in command prompt, or powershell cmdlets (run as administrator). You can read the Windows 10 TCp/IP tweaks article for ideas on commands to try: https://www.speedguide.net/articles/win ... weaks-5077
๑۩۞۩๑
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

The recommended values of those items are:

TCP Receive Window - 8760
MTU Discovery - Yes
Black Hole Detect - No
Selective ACKs - Yes
Max Dup ACKs - 2

MTU settings are discussed on the link you provided, but it provides values. The other settings are not mentioned.

Is TCP Optimizer just an easy way to automize registry changes?
If so, are there manual registry changes/entries that do the same as any or all the above, or are the above completely inapplicable?

Thanks.
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

(I don't find a way to edit a post)

re: MTU "but it provides values" [instead of yes/no]
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It used to be as easy as implementing registry changes back in the days of Windows 9x and XP. Since Windows 7, it depends on the version of Windows, but the TCP Optimizer uses a combination of registry changes/checks, netsh commands, and PowerShell cmdlets. All those three are necessary, as Microsoft does not document some of the values, and for others transitions the way they can be edited from registry to netsh to Powershell. In some versions of Windows same value can be edited in netsh but disallowed in PowerShell, in others the registry entry still works, it's not a simple answer. Oh, you can also add to that the "Home/Pro/Server" variants, where there is difference as to what values you can edit and different "templates" (sets of TCP/IP settings) used.
๑۩۞۩๑
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

Okay. If I tell you it is Windows 7, are you able to tell me how to make the above 5 settings as stated? Thanks.

(By the way, my dealing with dial up is not just for fun. I live in a place where it is all there is available. I'm trying to make the best of it.)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

No Starlink satellite service either ? :) Sorry to hear, dialup can be painful these days, even cell service is faster. Anyway, here are some ideas.

TCP Receive Window -- set the "TCP Window" to disabled, you can use the TCP Optimizer, or netsh.

MTU Discovery
You can try setting it just for the dialup adapter as follows (in admin command prompt):
First, find the name of your network/dialup adapter if possible, try: netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface
Then you can change the mtu just for that adapter with something like: netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1458 store=persistent

Or, to set MTU globally for all adapters:
You can see the current minimum global MTU for MTU Discovery using: netsh interface ip show global
You can set it using: netsh interface ip set global minmtu=576

To see the active setting for all interfaces: netsh interface ip show interfaces

Black Hole Detect
You can try the Registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip\parameters
Add DWORD Value: EnablePMTUBHDetect
Set to 1 or 0

Selective ACKs
Max Dup ACKs
If I remember correctly, those depend on the network adapter driver support, and they're part of the TCP Windows Scaling, TCP1323 extensions. If you disable TCP Window Scaling (large RWIN values over 64K), that you don't need with dialup, they will be disabled. May have to read some more on those, but that's what I think.

I hope this helps.
๑۩۞۩๑
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

"Selective ACKs
Max Dup ACKs
If I remember correctly, those depend on the network adapter driver support, and they're part of the TCP Windows Scaling, TCP1323 extensions. If you disable TCP Window Scaling (large RWIN values over 64K), that you don't need with dialup, they will be disabled. May have to read some more on those, but that's what I think."
--All these settings are under a post entitled, "HOW TO - make your 56k dial-up modem faster". These above 2 are for TCP Optimizer settings (for dial up).

(There are too many trees for satellite, and it is unreasonably expensive. For videos, etc. I go once or twice a week to my parents' in the city.)
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

They may have been present in earlier versions of the TCP Optimizer, or may appear under Windows XP.. Some of the settings change depending on OS.
๑۩۞۩๑
ray5450

Post by ray5450 »

I finally had time to enter all these settings. Unfortunately, it did not work. I am satisfied that I was able to try it. Thanks, for your help.