Wireless Network Speed Tweaks

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Unwieldy_Internet

Wireless Network Speed Tweaks

Post by Unwieldy_Internet »

The guide needs to be updated. | https://www.speedguide.net/articles/wir ... weaks-5681

The section 'Advanced dd-wrt Router Settings' needs updating. Where it says
TCP/UDP Timeout (P2P)
Under dd-wrt firmware, these settings are under: Administration -> Management -> IP Filter Settings
Then
TCP Timeout - the default under dd-wrt and other open source firmware is 3600 seconds. Reducing this to 120-180 seconds decreases the number of connections left in WAIT state, freeing resources on your router. This is especially useful for busy network environments with many open connections, such as p2p applications.
The 'TCP Timeout' is actually the ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established. Reducing the timeout to which is stated in the speedguide article is not recommended according to the dd-wrt wiki. | https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Router_Slowdown
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Thank you for this, will look into it. I don't see where it explicitly says it is the ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established ? It should be ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_time_wait
It definitely needs to be tested.

The idea is to free resources for TCP connecitons in their time_wait, close_wait, etc. states, as it is common for some to get dropped without properly closing, and they take away unnecessary resources from other connections.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Unwieldy_Internet

Philip wrote:Thank you for this, will look into it. I don't see where it explicitly says it is the ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established ? It should be ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_time_wait
It definitely needs to be tested.

The idea is to free resources for TCP connecitons in their time_wait, close_wait, etc. states, as it is common for some to get dropped without properly closing, and they take away unnecessary resources from other connections.
Whenever I made a change to the TCP Timeout value; there where 2 areas that updated in the Sysctl Configuration which were net.netfilter (nf_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established) & net.ipv4.netfilter (ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established). The default value for ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_time_wait is 60.

The Sysctl Configuration is located in Administration -> Sysctl

Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Thank you for the update, looks like the firmware has changed a lot. Is this stock dd-wrt? I don't remember this section being there.

Will update the article.
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Unwieldy_Internet

Philip wrote:Thank you for the update, looks like the firmware has changed a lot. Is this stock dd-wrt? I don't remember this section being there.

Will update the article.
The firmware that I'm using is one of the latest betas. | https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/

One of the main coders of the firmware is BrainSlayer. | https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/profile ... rofile&u=2
Unwieldy_Internet

Here is the full list of that section.

Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Thank you. Are those the default values?
Unwieldy_Internet

Philip wrote:Thank you. Are those the default values?
Sorry, that reply from 3/29/22 @ 10:59 a.m. with the pic posted was reflecting changes from the speedguide article. See pic below for the default values of the firmware.

Also, thanks for taking the time in updating the article! I appreciate all the hard work you put into the guide.

Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

No problem, thanks for the constructive feedback! :)
๑۩۞۩๑