Where's my speed?

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Chippy361

Where's my speed?

Post by Chippy361 »

Hi All,

I upgraded my internet service and receive a wifi speed of 300Mbps when stood close to the router. I have hard wired my Mac into the router but the speed seems to be capped at just under 100Mbps. The cable I have used is cat6 and the length is approx 25 meters.

Can anyone explain where my speed has gone?

Thanks
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Does your router have Gigabit ports on the LAN side, or just 100 Mbit ports? Not all routers have Gigabit Ethernet.

25m is a bit of a long run, does it go through any possible points of interference, like fluorescent lights, etc.? You may also have to change some of the Network Adapter settings, enable Jumbo Frames, disable any "Power Saving" mode, disable "Efficient Ethernet", etc.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑