HELP! TcpOptimizer v4.1.1 ruined my network connectivity (Windows 10)

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
eefiasfira

HELP! TcpOptimizer v4.1.1 ruined my network connectivity (Windows 10)

Post by eefiasfira »

I usually got 170-180Mbs download speed and 6 Mbps upload speed on SpeedTest.net. I got greedy for more and found a Quora article touting TcpOptimizer.
So I downloaded the v4.1.1 (latest) on my Windows 10 (20H2) machine and ran it. I first backed up my current settings and then applied TcpOptimizer's "Optimal" setting. After rebooting my SpeedTest download speed dropped to 1.7 Mbps, Upload speed was 4.5 Mbps!! Alarmed, I asked TcpOptimizer to reset to previous settings - it had saved these in a file called "sg_{today's date}". After reboot, same issue. Now desperate, I made TcpOptimizer reset my TCP/IP stack - I saw it log a bunch of "Resetting this" and "Resetting that" messages. Interestingly there were also a bunch of "Resetting Ok!" messages and then a "Resetting: Access Denied" message. NOTE: I always ran it as administrator. I also made it reset WinSock.

After reboot my laptop could no longer connect to my Wifi. Windows Troubleshooter detected that my DHCP wasn't enabled and fixed it.
But still I get only 1.5 Mbps speed.

PLEASE HELP. MY LAPTOP IS NOW ALMOST UNUSABLE. Even loading this dumb website takes 30-40 seconds now. I don't want to reformat/reload my OS. Just want to undo whatever crap this so-called optimizer did to my machine :( .
eefiasfira

Post by eefiasfira »

Here are my current TCP Analyzer results
<<SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2021.11.12 01:03
IP address: 73.221.xxx.xx
Client OS/browser: Windows 10 (Chrome 95.0.4638.69)

TCP options string: 020405b401010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 64240 (multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 0 bits
Unscaled RWIN : 64240
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 2570 kbps (257 Kilobytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 1028 kbps (103 Kilobytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 109
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)
eefiasfira

Post by eefiasfira »

Actually the issue is with my router. I use a NightHawk router *as an Access point* because my main router is downstairs and in my bedroom the signal strength @ 5Ghz from the main router is poor. So I bought the NightHawk router that sits in my bedroom and connects to the main router over Ethernet via a wall outlet. This gives me a strong 5Ghz signal in my bedroom. My main router is an Asus ACRH13.

Before running TcpOptimizer I was player with the NightHawk's settings - enabling disabling Jumbo frames etc. I think I might have done something over there which caused my problem. If I connect to the 5Ghz SSID of my Asus (main) router I am getting 150 Mbps on Speedtest (its 11 PM now and so the speed's higher than what I get during peak hours).
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Thanks for following up and confirming it is not a TCP Optimizer issue. If you reset TCP/IP and Winsock everything is reset completely, and returned to the Windows defaults by the operating system itself.

That said, you can still try the Optimizer "optimal" settings, it should give you a bit more stable/faster connection, especially when connecting to servers further away from you. When testing the speed, it is not always best to pick the closest server, as it not always reflects real-word scenarios.

As to the WiFi routers, is the NightHawk connected to the main one with Ethernet cable or via WiFi?
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑