Losing internet sporadically

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Easto
SG Elite

Losing internet sporadically

Post by Easto »

I'm not sure if there's an answer for this but I was wondering what path I should take in figuring out what is going wrong.

For the past 3 weeks we've been sporadically losing our cable internet connection here at the house. It goes out for 5-10 minutes about twice a day, never at the same time. My ISP supplied modem is lit up and showing that the power is on and that it is online. My ASUS router does not show any problems either. Both units are showing the same indicator lights whether the connection is good or lost. Although the wireless remains working, there is no internet connection to the wired and wireless devices we use.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Most Cable modems have a diagnostic web page that can show you the current status, events, and cable line signal levels. I would definitely start by looking at that.

The IP is usually 192.168.100.1 (for most Arris modems and many other brands). The thing is, you usually can't get to that IP address if you are behind another Wi-Fi router.

Step 1) Access the modem stats page.
In your Asus Wi-Fi router admin interface, I would just go to: "LAN > Route", enable static routes, and add: IP: 192.168.100.1, Netmask: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (or the IP of the Asus Router), Interface: WAN
Alternatively, you can connect a client device to the cable modem directly via Ethernet cable and reboot the cable modem, but that's more work.

Step 2) Look for events, sync issues, and most importantly signal levels when you are having issues.
For what's considered "Good" signal levels, see this:
https://www.speedguide.net/faq/what-cab ... ed-good-78

Often, if there is a splitter on the line before the cable modem, removing it can remedy the situation (if downstream power is low, or upstream power is high). Alternatively, it can be changed to a tap.

I hope this helps, see what the signal levels are and go from there.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I appreciate your help. I'm not too good and reading and understanding the logs from my router but if I see anything that might help determine what's wrong I'll get back to this thread. I'll also re-seat all my connections and ensure everything's tight.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It's more about reading the signal levels that the modem shows, they should be within some normal ranges, that FAQ will tell you what they need to be. The cable modem logs can be cryptic and more geared toward techs.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑