optimum 1gbps keeps disconnecting ASUS RT-AC86U

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
diokunlocks

optimum 1gbps keeps disconnecting ASUS RT-AC86U

Post by diokunlocks »

hi, im trying to get any help so a few months ago i upgraded my internet from 300mbps to 1gbps i currently have a ASUS RT-AC86U ever since i upgraded my internet goes out atleast 3 times a day for a few minutes before upgrading this never happen before. i have some technicians from optimum come check it out and they said the reason is because im not allow to use a separate router and the optimum modem/router together

any help or thoughts is appreciated
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hello, welcome to SG.

First of all, they are wrong - you should be able to use your ISP's gateway/modem/router and your own, as long as they are properly configured. ISPs just don't like it, and they do not support another router because it complicates troubleshooting for them. Your equipment will always the first culprit that is blamed, you can safely ignore that, but be persistent to get the issue fixed. That said your router has to be properly configured, the Asus RT-AC86U is a very capable device, with good processor and plenty of RAM.

Even though it is likely an issue is with optimum line, or equipment at your location, it may be a good idea to eliminate the possibility that it is your router - you can do that by connecting via Ethernet directly to their router. You may also want to monitor whether their router, and their ONT loses connectivity, or just the Asus router.
erpguy2

Post by erpguy2 »

and when connecting via ethernet, try a different cable maybe a either a CAT5e or CAT6 cable (not CAT5)
JBSDevices

Post by JBSDevices »

I think you should contact ASUS techical support team in this regard. They will help you out.