Internet speed HELP

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
iowaguy

Internet speed HELP

Post by iowaguy »

Forgive me if my questions sound stupid but I'm relatively new to all this internet stuff. I don't know what is good internet speeds and I don't know what download and upload MB really mean. I don't have a whole lot of options for internet in*the rural area that I live in. I'm hoping you guys can assist me... please and thank you :) :nod:

Currently, I have a DSL (phone line) internet plan of the following:

12 MB download / 6MB upload = $39.95 a month

I have since been looking to switch my internet provider to a business that uses wireless technology to transmit its internet to its customers by a receiver. This is NOT A SATELLITE based service but rather they transmit their internet signal by way of transmission equipment on several different grain elevators, water towers, and tall buildings, located in more than 25 communities in the area.

Their internet plans include the following:

10 MB download / 2 MB upload = $45.00 a month
25 MB download / 5 MB upload = $55.00 a month
50 MB download / 10 MB upload = $65.00 a month

I am looking for the fastest internet as possible of the options that I have listed. Could you guys be so kind as to guide me to the fastest internet option? And I'm older so could you also please give me a short explanation? :D ;)

Thanks so much in advance for any help in this matter.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Welcome to SG :)

The "MB" in those internet speed options stands for "Megabits per second". The more common abbreviation for this is "Mbps". It is common for residential connections to have faster "download" speeds than "upload", as you are getting stuff (downloading) from the internet more than sending stuff (uploading).

Obviously the fastest one would be the "50 MB download / 10 MB upload" , however, you may want to try the "25 MB download / 5 MB upload" and change later. Note that all internet providers do not guarantee residential speeds, they quote them "Up to .... speed". Meaning that in the evening when everyone is watching videos online it may slow down.

For Video streaming on Youtube, Netflix, etc. you need about 5+ Mbps or more, they recommend 10 Mbps for Netflix. With faster speeds, all web pages, email and other content will load a bit faster too, as they all have grown bigger over the years. The faster speeds would also help if you have multiple clients using the internet at home at the same time.

DSL speed gets degraded over long distances, the wireless internet provider may be a good option to try.

I hope this helps :)
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
ipv6

Post by ipv6 »

Internet speeds are typically measured in megabits per second (Mbps) or, occasionally, in kilobits per second (Kbps) or gigabits per second (Gbps). Mbps represents the rate at which data can be transferred over your internet connection.

Download speed refers to how quickly data can be received from the internet to your device. This is important for activities like streaming videos, downloading files, or browsing websites. The higher the download speed, the faster these tasks can be completed.

Upload speed, on the other hand, measures how quickly you can send data from your device to the internet. This is relevant when you're uploading files, sending emails, or engaging in activities like video conferencing or online gaming. Having a higher upload speed allows you to send data more quickly.

Now, let's compare the plans you mentioned:

Your current DSL plan: 12 Mbps download / 6 Mbps upload for $39.95 a month.
Wireless internet provider:
Plan 1: 10 Mbps download / 2 Mbps upload for $45.00 a month.
Plan 2: 25 Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload for $55.00 a month.
Plan 3: 50 Mbps download / 10 Mbps upload for $65.00 a month.
Based on the plans you listed, the wireless internet provider offers faster download speeds compared to your current DSL plan. However, the upload speeds of the wireless plans are lower than what you currently have.

When deciding which plan to choose, consider your specific internet usage needs. If you frequently download large files, stream high-definition videos, or have multiple devices connected simultaneously, faster download speeds will provide a smoother experience. If you regularly upload files or engage in activities that require faster upload speeds, you may want to stick with your current DSL plan, as it offers a higher upload speed.

Ultimately, the choice depends on your priorities and how you use the internet. It's worth considering factors like reliability, customer support, and any additional features or limitations of the wireless service provider before making a decision.

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!
(spam link removed by admin)