ISP killed my personal ARRIS modem, but blames ARRIS. Need advice...

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
EddieS

ISP killed my personal ARRIS modem, but blames ARRIS. Need advice...

Post by EddieS »

I have had an ARRIS SB6183 for about four months with my provider (TDS). I liked it so much, I got my mom one about two months ago. Suddenly, between midnight and 0830 on 19 June, both of our modems stopped connecting with the ISP (and we live on different ends of town). Multiple calls to the ISP's tech support suggest a firmware update was pushed by ARRIS about that time, but it should have only affected TDS-owned ARRIS modems. The techs say they can "see" our modems trying to connect, but otherwise, after trying everything on their end, state there's nothing they can do.

So I call ARRIS, and this tech states they have no physical way to push a firmware update, but make them available to the ISPs. He tries everything he can to get it to connect to the ISP, but no luck. So, I rent two modems (ARRIS CM820As) from the ISP, and they connect perfectly. For several days, I call my ISP to get them to switch to my own modem, in hopes it'll connect, but no luck, and then switch back to the rental modem, and everything is good.

It is too much of a coincidence to believe that both SB6183s failed sometime during the exact same 8 hour period, during which the ISP pushed out a firmware update. But the ISP (TDS) states there's nothing they can do, as these are customer-owned devices. They also state that no other reports like this have been getting to them; however, every time someone calls TDS tech support about internet, a canned recording says that there's an outage in the area, and to please be patient, so that may be preventing modem owners from following up, but since I had two do the exact same thing, I did (and I explained that to TDS and to ARRIS).

At this point, I have two expensive bricks, and am renting again. Anyone have any insight, or recommendations?

Thanks...
nwrickert

Post by nwrickert »

Strange coincidences do occur.

What happened may be one of those strange coincidences. Or maybe your suspicions are right, and it was something that the ISP did.

The problem for you, is that you may never be able to prove that it was the ISP, and not just a strange coincidence. So you probably have to eat the cost of replacing the modem.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

It does sound like there was some faulty firmware pushed to the modems..

Have you tried factory-reset of the modem ? It is best to reset it when not connected to the cable system.. It should reset the firmware/settings theoretically, it's worth to try.. You do it by connecting to the modem (192.168.100.1 in a browser), then navigate to: Configuration > Restore Factory Defaults.

After a factory reset, you may have to call your ISP and have them provision it, then wait 5-15 min for the settings to get pushed to it.
EddieS

Post by EddieS »

The ARRIS tech talked me through the factory reset on 192.168.100.1, while disconnected from coax, then powered off, and reconnected everything. Since then, we (ISP) have tried re-establishing connection again, and between tries, I've done additional factory resets. The modem powers up, the green DS & US LEDs light, then they both flash blue for a second, then it reboots again. On the ISP end, they see it, but can't understand why it's not being accepted on their end. Kind of at a loss here, and, not really sure I'm going to try another ARRIS. May go with a Netgear... but don't know if this ISP will do this again...
chpalmer
Advanced Member

Post by chpalmer »

Who is your ISP?

My carrier "Wavebroadband" recently did the same with my modem which is based on the same chipset as your model. Motorola MB8600. Some ISPs are having great difficulty with properly provisioning these D3.1 modems. Im calling almost daily right now keeping the wheel noisy. Ive provided a contact at Motorola but they seem to refuse to call.
Never take any crap off an inanimate object!!

Never send email to this address: spam@euclidian.com. This is a spam trap and everyone sending any email to this address will be blacklisted.
furrynutz

Post by furrynutz »

I would presume the ISP or Arris may have some something to the modems. If they had been working well until something was pushed to them, Arris needs to own up to it.
I have the Arris 6183 and it's a solid modem. Had it since January.

Also Motorola has a MB7420 whats a 16x4 modem.

Stay away from Intel Puma 6/7 based modems. The SB6183 and MB7420 are Broadcom based modems. Good Modems.

Keep on Arris to resolve this issue.
EddieS wrote:The ARRIS tech talked me through the factory reset on 192.168.100.1, while disconnected from coax, then powered off, and reconnected everything. Since then, we (ISP) have tried re-establishing connection again, and between tries, I've done additional factory resets. The modem powers up, the green DS & US LEDs light, then they both flash blue for a second, then it reboots again. On the ISP end, they see it, but can't understand why it's not being accepted on their end. Kind of at a loss here, and, not really sure I'm going to try another ARRIS. May go with a Netgear... but don't know if this ISP will do this again...
furrynutz

Post by furrynutz »

furrynutz

Post by furrynutz »

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem.*Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box.*
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.*
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.

I'm surprised your ISP is still supporting these. Something that some ISPs will not due to there age and DOCSIS support. Ask the ISP to be sure they are officially supporting these models. I to had a 6183 and love it. Worked great however my ISP began phasing out these older modems. Ask the ISP to revert the FW back to prior working version.
I wouldn't put it past the ISP to be phasing out these older modems.
SPINSPUN666

Post by SPINSPUN666 »

That's terrible
Axelred

Post by Axelred »

t's unfortunate that both of your ARRIS SB6183 modems stopped connecting to the ISP around the same time. It does seem suspicious that it happened during the firmware update period. It's good that you reached out to both your ISP (TDS) and ARRIS for support.

If the ISP claims they cannot assist with customer-owned devices and ARRIS states they have no physical way to push firmware updates, it puts you in a difficult position. One suggestion would be to escalate the issue with both TDS and ARRIS to higher levels of support or management. Explain your situation, emphasizing that both modems failed simultaneously during the firmware update. They may be able to provide a resolution or investigate the issue further.

Alternatively, you could consider exploring other modem options that are known to be compatible with your ISP. Research customer reviews and experiences with different modem models to find one that has a good track record with your provider. This way, you can avoid future compatibility issues and have more control over your equipment.