Temporary boost in speed! Please help to make it permanent.

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Sushant Gambhir

Temporary boost in speed! Please help to make it permanent.

Post by Sushant Gambhir »

I used TCP optimizer on my pc, I clicked on optimal and then clicked on custom, chose MTU as 1472 (shown as my highest value by TCP optimizer) left everything else untouched, applied, rebooted and Voila!! My speeds went from a meagre 100 KBps to 2.5 MBps but only for a couple of minutes. Downloaded 130 MB in this time.

I want help to figure out what setting is being changed (which i guess is resetting to its old position in a couple of minutes) so that i can try to make this change permanent.

More details :

My cellular data provider offers unlimited 4g and there are no restrictions on tethering so I'm using a hotspot on pc and other devices. On PC I get 1.6 to 2.2 MBps while downloading from torrent but browsing is only upto 100 KBps. This is what i'm trying to change. I have tried everything else in vain and even TCP Optimizer gives a temporary resoltion.

Please help!!