Internet/signal problems

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Sergio Martinengo

Internet/signal problems

Post by Sergio Martinengo »

I've been having problems with the internet/signals for a few months now, it's not a big deal for a casual computer user, but for me it is, since I tend to play videogames.

The speed connection is not bad, it's 50 Mbps and the problem is not regularly with the speed connection, it's something related to the signal or I don't know what.

I have a netgear n600 router and the modem is from time warner cable, I've requested multiple changes of the modem, but still. In addition to everything, I basically live in a room, so the router/modem is that close, but not that far. About 4-6 mts and I'm upstairs, and the router downstairs, but still, I get 4-5 bars signal. I've called them and they report no problem. I have connected the ethernet cable and I think it works that way, but it doesn't work for me, since I'm upstairs, my ps4 is upstairs, my computer is upstairs, etc.

It's really frustrating when I play a videogame and every "x" minutes my ping goes really really high for 5-60 seconds.

I can't detect why of the problem. I bought a signal extender netgear w3000 but that's even worse, I get about 1Mb on my phone or ps4, and the same thing about the internet stopping happens more often.

I'm not sure what to do, or how to detect the problem, so if someone could help me, i would really appreciate it.