New broadband supplier: advice on which setup is best

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Damiano Migani

New broadband supplier: advice on which setup is best

Post by Damiano Migani »

Hi all,
i just switched from cable (up to 8Mb) to fibre internet (up to 50 Mb) and i would like to understand how to maximise performance of my home network. I live in a narrow long house and the wifi from one side of the house (where router/computer are) does not reach the other end (where appleTV and living room are). I'm thinking of few ways to improve this.
The download/upload speed doesn't worry me as much as the transfer of data between my computer (iMac) to apple TV because that's how i stream movies to my living room.

these are the three settings that i'm considering:

first option: mostly cable. fibre comes into the house to router; connect router to imac using 1Gb ethernet cable; connect router using DLan 100Mb ethernet to TV. wifi will be around the house via router on one side and DLan unit on the other side.

second option: hybrid. connect router to computer the same as before, and then use a wifi booster to reach the other end of the house. router is 802.11 ac, most boosters are 802.11n, this will make the fast wifi from router not usable by the TV

third option: all wifi. i move the router to the centre of the house using ethernet cable, then stream 802.11ac through the whole house, however TV won't be able to take advantage of ac since it's n wifi.

considerations.
  • right now i have option 2 with a slower provider (up to 8Mb) and it sucks. i don't know whether it's the limited speed from provider or the bridge with the booster that affects the speed.
  • the only wifi ac receiver that i have is the iphone 6, and i'm not too concerned with its speed.
  • i want to maximise the data transfer between routher/pc and AppleTV to stream movies in the house
  • what's the point of having 802.11N or even AC if the internet comes in at speeds of up to 50Mb? N is 300, AC is 1000, but the bottleneck will be the provider speed.
what would you do/recommend?
i get confused by all these standards and MB/mb bits bps etc terminology.
please don't get too technical with your answers otherwise i won't follow! :)

i hope i was clear in my explanation and drawing and thank you so much in advance!
damiano