100 MB/s -> Router -> 50MB/s

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
JeffreyCheng92

100 MB/s -> Router -> 50MB/s

Post by JeffreyCheng92 »

Hi everyone,

My problem is that I am paying for a 100MB downspeed connection yet I am only getting 50mb/s on basically every speed test I run. The issue is not on the ISP (Astound - local provider in california bay area) end because if I hardwire my computer to the modem (motorola sb6121), I get speeds of 100mb/s. It is when I connect my computer via ethernet to the router that is connected to the modem that my speed hovers around 50mb/s.

Things I have tried and didnt work:

Tweaked with the router settings (MTU, channels 1,6,11, QoS, firmware upgrade, priority to my device, WMM)
Latest driver on network and wifi card
Multiple ethernet cords (all gave me 100mb/s while directly connected to modem)
Multiple computers (all laptops)
Multiple routers (Linksys E2700 and TP-LinkWR841N)

The technician who came said it was because my modem has only 4 bond channels but I dont see how this is relevant because I am still getting maximum speed while directly connected to the modem.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! Thanks