Bufferbloat doesn't want to give me an A + :-(

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
_M_a_k_S_

Bufferbloat doesn't want to give me an A + :-(

Post by _M_a_k_S_ »

Greetings to all users of the legendary Speedguide forum! Special greetings to the legendary Philip!
I'm new here and don't know a lot of things yet, so please don't judge me harshly. )) And now to the question itself.
I can not reach the result "+A" in Bufferbloat. It always shows the result "B". What is the reason for this and how can I fix it? I wouldn't say I have a slow internet connection. 250000 mbit/s and I don't complain about ping either. Speedtest shows speed 250-270 mbit/s, ping 10-12. In games ping is almost always stable between 20-25, packet loss is VERY, VERY rare and not in all games. I've applied a couple of tweaks to improve and stable internet and configured TCP Optimizer for the best and cleanest connection. But the one thing that really pisses me off and I don't understand why Bufferbloat shows a value of "B" ? I read that it has a negative effect on latency. At this point in time, I'm most interested in fixing this annoying problem.
Is there a solution to it ? Thank you all in advance for your help!!! Regards Maks!!! :thumb:
Philip
SG VIP

Re: Bufferbloat doesn't want to give me an A + :-(

Post by Philip »

Welcome Maks :)

I don't worry about that bufferbloat score much, it is not necessarily a problem. It would only reduce your speeds in the presence of packet loss. The "buffer" it refers to is the TCP Window, which is automatically controlled in Windows 10/11. Having large TCP Window allows for higher throughput.

You can only control how aggressive the auto-tuning algorithm is, you can do it in the TCP Optimizer with the "TCP Window Auto Tuning" setting, you can change it from "normal" to "restricted", or "highlyrestricted" to reduce the buffer.

Keep in mind the effect will most likely be reduced trasnfer speed. Feel free to test it out, I just don't think it will reduce your ping from your already low latency.
_M_a_k_S_

Post by _M_a_k_S_ »

Thanks for the quick feedback!
I didn't sit idly by and found some information in various forums on the subject. I won't claim it, but the information is most likely taken from this forum.
1. In tcp optimizer I set all the settings to optimal
2. In the properties of the network card set the default settings.
3. Finally I applied some tweaks in cmd.
4. Restarted the system and did a buffer test.
And this is what I got from it.
Our provider "Deutsche Telekom" is considered to be one of the best or the best in terms of quality, reliability and stability of internet connection.
I will not claim that I have done everything right regarding the changes, but rather the opposite. That's why I'm here to understand and solve this problem.
Thanks again in advance for your help!!!
Regards MakS!!
_M_a_k_S_

Post by _M_a_k_S_ »

Thanks for the quick feedback!
I didn't sit idly by and found some information in various forums on the subject. I won't claim it, but the information is most likely taken from this forum.
1. In tcp optimizer I set all the settings to optimal
2. In the properties of the network card set the default settings.
3. Finally I applied some tweaks in cmd.
4. Restarted the system and did a buffer test.
And this is what I got from it.
Our provider "Deutsche Telekom" is considered to be one of the best or the best in terms of quality, reliability and stability of internet connection.
I will not claim that I have done everything right regarding the changes, but rather the opposite. That's why I'm here to understand and solve this problem.
Thanks again in advance for your help!!!
Regards MakS!!

_M_a_k_S_

Post by _M_a_k_S_ »

I apologize. I haven't figured out how to submit an image. What is the best page to upload images on and how?
_M_a_k_S_

Post by _M_a_k_S_ »

How to insert url from the picture I have figured out thank god. Could you recommend me a good, free photo hosting where I could upload a picture? Thanks in advance!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

As I said before, if you want to reduce your buffers, you can change "TCP Window Auto tuning" to restricted. I wouldn't recommend it though, as it limits your throughput, and doesn't usually help latency.
_M_a_k_S_

Post by _M_a_k_S_ »

Yes I did as you said I reduced the buffer to the lowest but it didn't help. But still thank you very much for your help!!!
Regards MakS!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

That's the only way to control the TCP Window "buffer" under Windows 10/11. I wouldn't worry about it much.

Reducing the TCP Window would only reduce throughput if the node is overloaded and you are transferring large amounts of data at the same time. In an unlikely situation like that, it is possible that the node starts dropping part of your buffered packets on that particular device to reduce its load, and your throughput would suffer as a side effect. If you're not experiencing packet loss, this scenario is not happening, so you can safely ignore the "bufferbloat" score. Large TCP buffers actually help your connection speed, and may be necessary for high throughput.
_M_a_k_S_

Post by _M_a_k_S_ »

Thank you again Philip for your reply!
I have experimented a little and found out that if I download a large update and at the same time do a buffer test, then naturally the download speed in the test drops from 250 mbps to 80 mbps, which is logical in principle. But also decreases and buffer from 190 to 50 that for me is very strange. What can it be connected with? Some kind of reverse effect is at work here. It should be exactly the opposite.
Thanks in advance!
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Maybe your router, or another device/node near you is limiting the total amount of memory allocated for you, split between your buffers.