Insight Required

General discussion related to Cable Modems, DSL, Wireless, Fiber, Mobile Networks, Wireless ISPs, Satellite, or any other type of high-speed Internet connection, general issues and questions here. Review and discuss ISPs as well (AT&T / SBC, BellSouth, Bright House, CableOne, Charter, Comcast, Covad, Cox, Cablevision / Optimum Online, TMobile, Verizon FIOS, Shaw, Telus, Starlink, etc.)
Gamer Inside

Insight Required

Post by Gamer Inside »

Can anyone take a look at my line stats and provide any help/insight on what can be done to improve it ? What can I do to get the line improved and reduce latency/ping and up the efficiency and quality of the line, and what would be alerting about my numbers in general and what terms/directions should I provide to my ISP.
Highly appreciated.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/8z2pj
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Your signal looks good.

What speed are you paying for ? Seems capped at 5 Mbps ("Downstream line rate"), with max possible of 12 Mbps (well, let's say 85% of that, the "Downstream max rate").
If you do some traceroutes you can see where the latency increases.
From there on, it depends on your ISP, what rate you're subscribed/capped at, and their location/backbones.
RenesisXI

Post by RenesisXI »

Gamer Inside wrote:/snip
Any reason its on GDMT opposed to ADSL2+?

Also im not sure why you arnt on the FastPath profile, those (good) stats shouldnt warrant the interleaved profile.

Edit: Note sure why the US SNR is bad compared to the DS SNR...what Huawei router is that btw?
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

RenesisXI wrote:Any reason its on GDMT opposed to ADSL2+?

Also im not sure why you arnt on the FastPath profile, those (good) stats shouldnt warrant the interleaved profile.

Edit: Note sure why the US SNR is bad compared to the DS SNR...what Huawei router is that btw?
Some say G.dmt is better for ping, not sure though but I can switch it if that's not true.
Regarding the Interleaved channel type how would I know if my ISP supports fast path ? is it something supported by default for any ISP ? Should I call them and ask them to do it ? I know for a fact they won't even understand what I'm talking about.

Regarding my device here's a screenshot showing all the info, and another screenshot for the line as of today because I noticed some Upstream CRC issues that I wanted to ask about.

http://imgur.com/a/mNKvQ
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

Philip wrote:Your signal looks good.

What speed are you paying for ? Seems capped at 5 Mbps ("Downstream line rate"), with max possible of 12 Mbps (well, let's say 85% of that, the "Downstream max rate").
If you do some traceroutes you can see where the latency increases.
From there on, it depends on your ISP, what rate you're subscribed/capped at, and their location/backbones.
Actually regarding the max rate it seems to be false, I can't exceed the specified line rate at all, for the traceroute I will attach a screenshot now becuase I have called my ISP multiple times telling them about their host and they are refusing to admit there's an issue so I wanted to confirm my understanding.

Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

Oh BTW guys, my line is 16 MB .. Or so it should be .. They are saying that they are gradually upgrading it bit by bit to tune and optimize the line, here's a screenshot of my line quality previously which was way much better BTW.
On a side note, should the upgrade they are trying to excute affect my line quality and make it as it is right now ? Because I noticed it is becoming worse ...

Last picture at the bottom was my original line quality.
RenesisXI

Post by RenesisXI »

Gamer Inside wrote:Actually regarding the max rate it seems to be false, I can't exceed the specified line rate at all, for the traceroute I will attach a screenshot now becuase I have called my ISP multiple times telling them about their host and they are refusing to admit there's an issue so I wanted to confirm my understanding.
Well you see GDMT has a max rate of 8Meg while ADSL2+ has a max rate of 24Meg, and regarding fastpath its up to the exchange or central office. Your ISP should have to request from the exchange to switch you from one mode to another. And trust me, when you get switched to fastpath you will see and feel it right away, that tracert to google will be reduced dramatically.

So call your ISP and try to speak to someone with a above average intellect.
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

RenesisXI wrote:Well you see GDMT has a max rate of 8Meg while ADSL2+ has a max rate of 24Meg, and regarding fastpath its up to the exchange or central office. Your ISP should have to request from the exchange to switch you from one mode to another. And trust me, when you get switched to fastpath you will see and feel it right away, that tracert to google will be reduced dramatically.

So call your ISP and try to speak to someone with a above average intellect.
What about my device and the recent change to the line quality, especially the CRC errors and how my line used to be before they start the whole fae "upgrade" process.

Edit #1: Can you explain a bit what's fast path and interleaved, becuase I will need to do the same while trying to establish a conversaion with my ISP representatives.

Edit #2: Is this ok ? BTW the download rate is unaffected at all but for some reason when the router restarted the quality changed again, don't understand the reason at all.

http://imgur.com/a/YjF0F
RenesisXI

Post by RenesisXI »

Leave it on All/Auto and see what the exchange picks and disable the two at the bottom.

Interleaved adds some delay on the line to "check" every bit that passes through the router and then does something to correct the error, but on your stats you shouldnt see any/much CRC errors unless there is a problem with your physical copper, EMI or your port in the exchange.

Fastpath removes this "checking" and assumes your line has little to no errors and the data just passes through without the added delay.
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

RenesisXI wrote:Leave it on All/Auto and see what the exchange picks and disable the two at the bottom.

Interleaved adds some delay on the line to "check" every bit that passes through the router and then does something to correct the error, but on your stats you shouldnt see any/much CRC errors unless there is a problem with your physical copper, EMI or your port in the exchange.

Fastpath removes this "checking" and assumes your line has little to no errors and the data just passes through without the added delay.
BTW what was that question you had related to my device ? I posted a screenshot previously in case you needed that, and I did uncheck bitswap and SRA but I believe this has a negative impact on ping and latency, I read this some where, regardless here's a screenshot.

http://imgur.com/a/5hh4s

Do you have any clue why the upstream SNR dropped from the 1st screenshot before the upgrade ? I had it at 23 which was really good and helping my ping greatly.
RenesisXI

Post by RenesisXI »

That downstream SNR is really good but the upstream SNR doesnt seem to add up, you can definitely go as high as 20Meg, Im just wondering if US SNR matters if its below 6, maybe @Philip could shed some light.

If your ISP says you cant go above 8 they are talking utter rubbish.
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

RenesisXI wrote:That downstream SNR is really good but the upstream SNR doesnt seem to add up, you can definitely go as high as 20Meg, Im just wondering if US SNR matters if its below 6, maybe @Philip could shed some light.

If your ISP says you cant go above 8 they are talking utter rubbish.
The upstream was perfect before they start messing around with my connection, yeah I hope Philip has something to add becuase I need to know what to do exactly and how to deal with this ISP, my current download rates are 530 KB max and they told me 48 hours till they get the 16 MB sorted out as they need some optimization and testing, something that might take a week and myself have no clue if this is true or not ... I wish someone can contribute with something as well.

Now what I don't quite understand here is why they have my max as 27,000 but I'm limited at 5 and can't go beyond that.

Thnaks in advance for anyone who might be able to help.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Your connection seems to be capped at 5 Mbits = 5120 kbps ~ 600 Kbytes / second. If you get over 85% of that speed you are at the cap, considering protocols overhead.
Here is a bits/bytes conversion calculator so we are on the same page about speed (Kbits/second vs KBytes/second) : http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php
You say that you get 530 KB downstream, if that is kilobytes, that's about what you are capped at by your ISP (the "downstream line rate" in your signal screenshots). That speed is set by your ISP, not at your modem.

Your signal indicates that you are close enough to the exchange to have a higher speed connection, as indicated by the "Max rate" in your modem status, however, you'd probably have to pay for a different tier to your ISP. What type of speed are you paying for ?
RenesisXI

Post by RenesisXI »

Gamer Inside wrote:The upstream was perfect before they start messing around with my connection, yeah I hope Philip has something to add becuase I need to know what to do exactly and how to deal with this ISP, my current download rates are 530 KB max and they told me 48 hours till they get the 16 MB sorted out as they need some optimization and testing, something that might take a week and myself have no clue if this is true or not ... I wish someone can contribute with something as well.

Now what I don't quite understand here is why they have my max as 27,000 but I'm limited at 5 and can't go beyond that.

Thnaks in advance for anyone who might be able to help.
Whatever sync you are on your download speed will reflect that, so if you want to be synced higher you would have to pay more for them to sync you at a higher speed. so 10240 downstream line rate would = ~1024KB/s

In my country for them to change the sync speed its instant not sure about your country.
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

Philip wrote:Your connection seems to be capped at 5 Mbits = 5120 kbps ~ 600 Kbytes / second. If you get over 85% of that speed you are at the cap, considering protocols overhead.
Here is a bits/bytes conversion calculator so we are on the same page about speed (Kbits/second vs KBytes/second) : http://www.speedguide.net/conversion.php
You say that you get 530 KB downstream, if that is kilobytes, that's about what you are capped at by your ISP (the "downstream line rate" in your signal screenshots). That speed is set by your ISP, not at your modem.

Your signal indicates that you are close enough to the exchange to have a higher speed connection, as indicated by the "Max rate" in your modem status, however, you'd probably have to pay for a different tier to your ISP. What type of speed are you paying for ?
I'm paying for 16 MB, they are supposed to upgrade it but till now they did nothing, they said 48 hours to get it in full after optimization ... 72 hours passed and nothing happened.
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

RenesisXI wrote:Whatever sync you are on your download speed will reflect that, so if you want to be synced higher you would have to pay more for them to sync you at a higher speed. so 10240 downstream line rate would = ~1024KB/s

In my country for them to change the sync speed its instant not sure about your country.
Yeah it is instant here as well, but for some reason they say they need to optimize it to get the full 16 MB which I don't understand at all.
RenesisXI

Post by RenesisXI »

Gamer Inside wrote:Yeah it is instant here as well, but for some reason they say they need to optimize it to get the full 16 MB which I don't understand at all.
Well then you tell them you are going to leave them for a different ISP if they dont change it within the hour. Call them on their BS, only bad lines need optimisation and yours isnt bad.
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

RenesisXI wrote:Well then you tell them you are going to leave them for a different ISP if they dont change it within the hour. Call them on their BS, only bad lines need optimisation and yours isnt bad.
So here's what happened, they didn't reply to my e-mails in the last 3 days, I went to a technical support office they have, or so they thing they are .. I told them about the issue and their reply was that it is a system that keeps testing and upgrading the speed bit by bit to make sure the connections won't have any drops or error/issues and that they can't intervene with such a process, total BS OFC, and in regards to the interleaved thing they say they can't do it either as it is assigned by the exchange point and mainly all leased lines are on the interleaved profile with shared connections, fast path is for companies and usually it has and equal upload bandwidth to the download bandwidth, again bs ...

To be honest I think all ISPs here are the same because there's a central company of communication controlling them all and the ISP i'm dealing with is the commercial interface to that company, so basically any other ISP is leasing bandwidth from them, but that might be not true for all ISPS as some might be offering such services to their customers, still I highly doubt it because I have dealt with like 3 ISPS and we have like 10 but only 5 of them are the best.

Donno what to do anymore aghhhhhhhhhhhhh.
RenesisXI

Post by RenesisXI »

Sorry man, Ive told you what I know but if your ISP refuses to do something you requested then I think its time to jump ship, name and shame them.

Maybe they have a social networking team that can help you, its worth a try.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Just bug them again in a couple of days, tell them the "Downstream line rate" in your modem shows 5120 kbps (5 Mbps), so there is something in the exchange they have not updated, and they need to fix it. If rebooting the modem on your ends keeps that at 5 Mbps, you wont get any higher speed and it is for them to change. If you are going there, you may as well print out one of those screenshots and show them.
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

Philip wrote:Just bug them again in a couple of days, tell them the "Downstream line rate" in your modem shows 5120 kbps (5 Mbps), so there is something in the exchange they have not updated, and they need to fix it. If rebooting the modem on your ends keeps that at 5 Mbps, you wont get any higher speed and it is for them to change. If you are going there, you may as well print out one of those screenshots and show them.
They admitted my line can even take 24 MB connection but their justification is that its a system controlled process, which I don't slightly or remotely believe at all, will keep bugging them and will also make a complain to the internet regulations office.

What's really bugging me is that there's absolutely nothing that needs to be adjusted from my side as you guys already stated, let's see what can be done with their attitude ... meh,
Gamer Inside

Post by Gamer Inside »

Quick update, here's the mess of a line I have right now after upgrading the speed to 10 MB, till this very moment I don't understand why the quality changes with each upgrade and erros increase, also look at the upload bandwidth ... lol it is going backwords.

http://imgur.com/a/sogdk
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The speed and all those numbers will fluctuate depending on line conditions at the time. The speed you connect at affects all other values as well, i.e. you will have stronger SNR margin and fewer errors at lower speeds.