Forum changes necessary for server upgrade

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Philip
SG VIP

Forum changes necessary for server upgrade

Post by Philip »

I plan on upgrading the server that runs the SG website currently. I have a new server running, and plan on moving the entire website, databases, forums, network tools, etc. to it. I've already started some background work, compiled the analyzer software on the new server, started updating old php code, etc. The move will be done in parts, it will take a week or so, and there will be some issues. The new server runs much newer versions of the required back end software, i.e. Apache, PHP, MariaDB, etc.

This means that the current forum software (vBulletin 4) will not run on it at all. There are other issues with libraries of 100 or so functions for the main site that need to be updated as well.

I am thinking of converting the forums to something better, with more modern code that can run on mobile, on new PHP versions, it is preferably open-source, has support, templates, security updates, and an upgrade path from vB. I've looked at Xenforo, Simple Machines, and a few others, and finally settled on phpBB (I think).

I've found scripts to convert from vB4 to an old phpBB that would run on the old server, and can then be upgraded. I had to modify the conversion process as the scripts had issues and incompatibilities.. But I am at a point where I am fairly confident I can convert all posts/forums/users/avatars. The only issue is templating/styling, which I will have to tackle at the end of the process, probably when everything is moved to the new server and upgraded.

There is a lot of converting and upgrading of forum software, updating of php code, etc. The forum change will present some issues and inconveniences, mainly with the style of the forums for a while. I plan to leave the styles as default while converting from phpBB 3.0x throguh 3.1.x, 3.2.x on the old server, then 3.3.x on the new one.
There is a lot to be done, but I am working on the background, will likely start the forum conversion process next week.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

I hope you boss is paying you well.

I look forward to the new SG
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

SG is my first baby, the site and the forums will be around :)

I will try to keep everything the same as much as possible through the move, the main site will stay as is for now, but after the conversion forums will lack a dark theme for a week or two, forums will have more of a default look until I get a chance to create a more custom theme (I have to create a dark theme, and not going to do it for each of the phpBB generations I plan on upgrading through, especially while moving databases and dealing with functionality issues).
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Philip
SG VIP

Re: Forum changes necessary for server upgrade

Post by Philip »

Forums converted! If you are reading this, you made it! :)

The vBulletin version still exists as a backup, but this will be the new forum software. A couple of posts from the last 12 hours may have been lost in the process, there will be some growing pains, but almost everything should remain the same/functional. Please report any functionality issues with the new forums here (I am aware of the lack of a dark theme, this will take a while).
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

This may just be how this version works. It does not bother me but I'll point it out anyway. When you click on the "Contact" icon under the member's info it quotes what was in that singular thread rather than opening up a blank message.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Easto wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:37 am
This may just be how this version works. It does not bother me but I'll point it out anyway. When you click on the "Contact" icon under the member's info it quotes what was in that singular thread rather than opening up a blank message.
Welcome to the other side.

Seems that way, didn't even see that before. You can always click the Person's icon, then use PM:Send private message, no quoted posts there. I will worry about customizations after this is moved to the new server and upgraded to the latest version, I am not sure I like the quoted text there either.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Old post attachments didn't make it through the conversion. The files were hashed/obfuscated in the old vB4 software (and spread through 50 different subfolders), and they are using different hashing system in the new one. I tried converting, but between two databases, 100 directories in the old system, and two separate naming conventions it is a complete mess, I give up on converting old attachments for now, not worth more time :/
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

I'd just breeze right by that. Not worth the time.

Odd comment but the letter w is showing up weird in FF and Chrome.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Hi Humby! :)

What do you mean by w is showing up weird? Tried both FF and Chrome and it seems just fine to me, hmm. Maybe some styling issue.. PC or a mobile device?
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

All my "w"s look good.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Philip wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:09 am
Hi Humby! :)

What do you mean by w is showing up weird? Tried both FF and Chrome and it seems just fine to me, hmm. Maybe some styling issue.. PC or a mobile device?
PC.

Looks like two v's with both barely there.

Trying to screenshot but that's not happening, can't crop it down.
Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

In quote your w looks great, solid.

As I type this though in this window, they're back to funky.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Ah, I see, so it is that editor that makes it look funky then.
John

Post by John »

Nice job, that's a lot of content and customization to manage to port over.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

John wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:01 pm
Nice job, that's a lot of content and customization to manage to port over.
Hi John, thanks, good to see you around :)