Medical billing

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Easto
SG Elite

Medical billing

Post by Easto »

Last week after having my telemedicine appt my doctor sent me in for some blood work. I just got the Medicare summary of charges and one of the line items was $20 for "Handling and/or conveyance of specimen for transfer from office to laboratory". They freakin' charged me a delivery fee for my specimen to be delivered to the lab! I guess they weren't making enough and decided to tag on another fee. I mean WTF, is the next thing going to be a tip for the driver? This is just ****ing amazing. I'm actually going to call Memorial Care and give them **** today. I can see it, someone at Memorial was looking at invoices from the lab and saw they were charging them $20 per pickup and they decided to bill the patient rather than absorbing it as a cost of doing business. It should only be 1 - $20 charge per location, not per sample... right?

**** them.

Mike
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

Cost is crazy, yes. You have to also account for the fact less than 50% of medical bills are actually paid, heh.
Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits). I also eat whatever crayons are put in front of me.
๑۩۞۩๑
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Philip wrote:Cost is crazy, yes. You have to also account for the fact less than 50% of medical bills are actually paid, heh.
I get that. Sometimes it just burns me up at what they try to get away with. That I know for a fact. About 2 years ago I went in to have some skin issues looked at. They were basically nothing and they were frozen off with liquid nitrogen. Well, when the bill came i took a look at what the billing code meant. It was for "up to 14 removals" and I had only had about 6 taken off. Mind you, there were plenty more on my body but I was only looking to have the more obvious ones removed. The next time I was in seeing this dermatologist I mentioned this discrepancy and thought that he still owed me for another 7 removals since I had basically paid for them. Both he and the nurse looked a little surprised and ask how I knew this. I told him i look at what I'm being billed for and do research on the code numbers assigned to each procedure. He agreed that I was right and proceeded to remove about 15 more for free.