Apple iPhone 12 mini

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Apple iPhone 12 mini

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Hey, I hope nobody minds too much if I post this here. I tried on the Apple Support Forum and got no help.

We will be switching from iPhone 6 to iPhone 12 mini, probably tomorrow. Ordered, on the way. Two phones, my wife & myself.

1. Best, most effective way to switch. I am thinking B/U iPhone 6 to iTunes (encrypted which is supposed to backup all apps, settings, logins etc.). Then connect iPhone 12 and restore. After that, move the SIM from one phone to the other and start it up and check it out. But if there is anything I'm missing or a better, more complete way, please let me know.

2. I need help in choosing a case. On our current iPhone 6 we have Otter Box Defender, which includes an integrated screen protector. The same model, Otter Box Defender for 12 mini DOES NOT include the integrated screen protector.

So I need a recommendation on an excellent case that will provide the same kind of protection, but also have the screen protector built-in. I would also like this case to have a rubber outer case, just as the OBD does for my 6.

Thanks,
John
BMED
SG Elite

Post by BMED »

Should have upgraded to the 13 pro or pro-max...
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Paying for the whole thing ourselves so I was looking for a lower price than getting the very latest. Got (2) 12 mini's for $455 each, with tax and free shipping). Only reason we even upgraded is not being able to upgrade iOS on the 6 has been causing us issue with not being able to get certain apps, and other apps losing functionality.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Androids and Apples make it very easy to:
*Always keep it backed up
*Thus easily migrate to a new phone.

Apples uses the iCloud account tied to the phone..also tied to the Apple ID (can also use your computer, or even "phone to phone over wifi").
Android uses the Google account tied to the phone

The restore from backup will put back about 95% of your stuff...all your apps, music, pictures, remembered wireless networks, etc etc. The missing 5%.....well, some of the apps may need to have certain settings restored if the apps are a bit more 3rd party. For example, some "authenticator apps" you use for multi factor. Or perhaps some 3rd party email clients may just have to get the mail accounts set up again.

When first getting any phone, the backup should be enabled at that time. That way, if the phone gets lost/stolen/broken at some unplanned time, you can go get a new phone and quickly "restore" everything from the account. But when doing a planned replacement of the phone..on the old phone just go in and check to ensure the backup was setup...if not, kick it on... You should be able to never worry about "losing stuff" if your phone suddenly gets dropped and smashed/run over by a truck...because it should always be backed up live...all the time. Cloud services have made computers this way too. I can have my Pixel phone or my Carbon laptop or my Think TinyPC right there that I'm typing from catch fire and burn to a crisp. I'll moan and groan about having to get a new one, but I'll never moan and groan about losing any data. Thanks to 365...my email, and all files..are backed up and synced. And my Chrome browser is signed in and synced. I get a new computer, sign into 365 stuff and Chrome...BOOM..all my stuff is back. My Pixel phone...same thing, I get a new one, sign into my Google account...restore..BOOM...just about all of it is back. A quick tweak or 2 or 3 apps and I'm back in biz.

Go to new phone, sign into your Apple or Google account...and since the phone is new, it will auto launch into a "Do you wish to restore/migrate settings/apps/etc from a backup?"...and proceed with that.

As for the SIM...you probably will have to get a new SIM, as most new phones run on 5G and will need a SIM that is 5G aware. Can do that at your local phone carrier store.
MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
Guinness for Strength!!!
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

We just upgraded my wife's iPhone 8 to the new 13. The migration was incredibly simple. Everything we needed was stored within the backups in our iCloud account. Before you start anything make sure you have a recent backup of your old phone and just follow the instructions on the screens. I too was concerned and wanted to make sure everything went as expected and all my apprehensions were unfounded. It worked like a charm. Like what YOS said, you will need a new SIM that can handle 5g.

I like Otterbox and we usually get those. I'm using the Commuter series. I also bought these screen protectors....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BZ ... UTF8&psc=1

It's nice because they give you 3 of each for the front and back. Just order the ones that are sized to whatever phone you buy.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Back when I got the iPhone 6 I had to swap to a different one after two weeks,original died and refurb company sent me a replacement. I backed up to iTunes, then restored from iTunes. Because some things I read at the time, Feb 2019, said doing it thru iTunes was more complete. I was pleasantly surprised at how much backed up. Home & Lock Screen customizations I had done, positions of icons, etc. I saw the Diaclara phone case, which has the protector. I'm kinda leery about putting another piece of glass to protect the phone's glass, plus having the adhesive on my phone screen, if I have to change it later. But still I'd be missing the outer rubber casing I have with my current Otterbox.
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Check out Spigen cases..they make some slimmer ones that still protect very well, avoiding the huge "I'm a clutz" look of the otterboxes.
Guinness for Strength!!!
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Thanks all, I found on Amazon two cases and ordered them. i-Blason for my wife and Supcase for me (has a belt holster). Phones came yesterday and we got switched over, used our same SIM's from our iPhone 6, seems to work fine.

I have another question. So right now we have many lightning cables to charge. Would it be worthwhile to buy a couple corded mag chargers? Is mag charging any better or worse than charging thru a cord? For example, would doing a lot of mag charging hurt the battery? Would charging most of the time via mag be better for the battery over the long term? Thanks for any input.

One other, we enter our weight daily in the Health App. On the old iPhone 6, it would come up to a graph and be on WEEK. Now with this newer version on the iPhone 12, that graph always changes back to DAY. POINTLESS, since we only enter it once a day. Any way to make it stay on WEEK?
Easto
SG Elite

Post by Easto »

Mag chargers work good but it is my understanding that they do charge slower. A lot of the juice you want going into your phone is lost through heat dissipation. My wife uses one at work.

I don't know the answer for the weight issue but I would have to say that I've noticed the same thing in many apps. I use a Garmin app to track my weight and everytime I enter a new weight or go to look at it I can either pick it to default to 1 da or the last 7 days (from the home screen). Once the app is open you can do most anything.
Qui-Gon John
Advanced Member

Post by Qui-Gon John »

Thanks. On the Health App, the older one that was on our iPhone 6, iOS 12, whichever you clicked on, D, W, M, Y, next time, that is what you got. On this newer one on the new iPhone 12's, even if you change it to W, then go to the summary page, then go back to the chart, it goes back to D. Cannot seem to find a setting for this either.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Not sure of the validity, however I heard on a local TV station that ear buds have a setting that allows users to hear iPhone conversations of others, from 50 foot or less.

Yes, listening in on cellphones has always been possible, however not necessarily easy. Just clicking on 1 setting...

Anyone want to verify this?
YeOldeStonecat
SG VIP

Post by YeOldeStonecat »

Ken wrote:Not sure of the validity, however I heard on a local TV station that ear buds have a setting that allows users to hear iPhone conversations of others, from 50 foot or less.

Yes, listening in on cellphones has always been possible, however not necessarily easy. Just clicking on 1 setting...

Anyone want to verify this?
Apples "Live Listen" feature. It's a thing for the hearing impaired. You use your iPhone like a microphone...it can pick up weak sounds...and then transmits to your ear buds. So...you "could" for example, hear a conversation across the room...that your ears might not be able to pick up, but the iPhones microphone might pick it up better. Or you could be sneaky...and place (hide) your iphone near the people having a conversation (like leave your phone on the table, or..leave your phone in your jacket pocket)...you could leave the room (but stay within bluetooth range)..with your earbuds...hear what your iphone is picking up.

And...you can do the same with most Androids.

It's not a ..."I'm able to pickup other peoples phone" thing. It's really just a "I have a portable microphone, paired to ear buds" thing...and...where you do you want to put that microphone?
Guinness for Strength!!!