3D printers ?

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
Rivas

3D printers ?

Post by Rivas »

Hi guys,

just wondering what are your thoughts about 3D printers ?

I'm not talking just about overpriced NA manufacturers but especially about award winning UV Anycubic, Delta printers, Tevo Tornado/Geetech/Qidi/FLSUN printers and those are just a few that came on my mind there is like 20+ more manufacturers.

Also taking into consideration filaments like bronze, wood, flexibles, PLA/+/, ABS, and more and more are popping out each month yet.

Your thoughts ?
To be human is to choose.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

- Emiliano Zapata
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

The technology is maturing, there seem to be a lot of new companies, interest and consumer applications, but I don't know much about them. I've played a bit with the abs plastic cheap ones, but I wasn't impressed with the quality, other than for cheap toy applications. I am sure the more professional ones are amazing, just outside of the average consumer reach last time I looked at them a couple of years back.

Considering they use 3D printing to even produce turbine blades for plane jet engines, I am sure the technology is mature enough already for professional use.
nightowl
SG Elite

Post by nightowl »

Just got a creality ender 3. Great little 3d printer. The tech is where 2d printers were in the late 80's.
Zilog B wrote:Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

nightowl wrote:Just got a creality ender 3. Great little 3d printer. The tech is where 2d printers were in the late 80's.
creality is very good company, I was deciding between creality and anycubic and went with anycubic chiron. Unfortunately Chiron doesn't have the auto leveling feature but the build volume is massive

I'm looking now at ...tevo 'little' monster the speed is incredible as is the volume or wanhao duplicator with upgraded extruder

anyway, did you try flexibles or wood ?

- Emiliano Zapata
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

Philip wrote:The technology is maturing, there seem to be a lot of new companies, interest and consumer applications, but I don't know much about them. I've played a bit with the abs plastic cheap ones, but I wasn't impressed with the quality, other than for cheap toy applications. I am sure the more professional ones are amazing, just outside of the average consumer reach last time I looked at them a couple of years back.

Considering they use 3D printing to even produce turbine blades for plane jet engines, I am sure the technology is mature enough already for professional use.
the technology is here you can print shoes or scarf or gloves, this is link to a site if you are interested http://www.thingiverse.com

Preparing to print the medieval castle at once or grand castle generator (of course I have to generate the castle first)

Philip and this would peek your interest for sure : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd3FGrIDYn8

- Emiliano Zapata
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

My delta is probably the worst one I own. Anycubic Linear Plus. Hate it/ Love my cr-10s and cr-10s5. Use ABL (added myself) on both. One a BLTouch and the other inductive from TH3D. with the mirror and ABL, no issues. I print mostly PLA, some wood PLA and some TPU. Never messed with the metal or ABS. Dont feel like building an enclosure. I have all metal V6's with Olson ruby nozzles and volcanoes but just have not had a need. Recently updated all 3 to 1.1.9 and calibrated the LA. Made a huge difference in zits and infill quality.
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

hi pete long time no see ! :rockin:

anycubic got just the Mega and chiron, they are coming this year with anycubic predator, 3d delta printer. creality means quality you can't go wrong there
loved my tevo tornado to the point when control box caught fire and tevo was unable/refused to replace it. How do you like the TPU, got any pictures ? …. for ABS it's always the first Qidi printer, no problem stacking to heat bed and for larger prints I have to use magikoo glue
Right now i'm trying to figure out how to put E3D Aero on chiron, pain in the butt :rtfm:

- Emiliano Zapata
nightowl
SG Elite

Post by nightowl »

Rivas wrote:creality is very good company, I was deciding between creality and anycubic and went with anycubic chiron. Unfortunately Chiron doesn't have the auto leveling feature but the build volume is massive

I'm looking now at ...tevo 'little' monster the speed is incredible as is the volume or wanhao duplicator with upgraded extruder

anyway, did you try flexibles or wood ?
not yet...waiting for some TPU from amazon to come in so I can print a cell phone case for my MOTO Z3 play.
Zilog B wrote:Loading the dishwasher at brembo's house means bringing the fiancee a sixpack home.
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

nightowl wrote:not yet...waiting for some TPU from amazon to come in so I can print a cell phone case for my MOTO Z3 play.
SLOW SLOW SLOW! I print my TPU at 20mm/s 50% first layer with hairspray. 0 retraction. Is your extruder good to go? I had to print a better extruder to narrow the gap. also used capricorn bowden for more consistent flow rate and a seperate LA profile also.
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

morbidpete wrote:SLOW SLOW SLOW! I print my TPU at 20mm/s 50% first layer with hairspray. 0 retraction. Is your extruder good to go? I had to print a better extruder to narrow the gap. also used capricorn bowden for more consistent flow rate and a seperate LA profile also.
don't use hairspray use glue stick, much better
my extruder ? I got all parts but when I look at it my head starts spinning
there is one European company and they are making printing platforms from 3 materials the main one is polyurethane and everything sticks to it, I swear if you spit on it you cant get it off lol
the waiting period is about 3 weeks and price depends on size

- Emiliano Zapata
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Rivas wrote:don't use hairspray use glue stick, much better
my extruder ? I got all parts but when I look at it my head starts spinning
there is one European company and they are making printing platforms from 3 materials the main one is polyurethane and everything sticks to it, I swear if you spit on it you cant get it off lol
the waiting period is about 3 weeks and price depends on size
I've always used hairspray, I refuse to change haha. My Anycubic came with a sheet, hate it. Impossible to get prints off of it. ripped it off and switched to a mirror with hairspray.
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

morbidpete wrote:I've always used hairspray, I refuse to change haha. My Anycubic came with a sheet, hate it. Impossible to get prints off of it. ripped it off and switched to a mirror with hairspray.
Look at this, it's cheaper compared to hairspray and it does stick
the bed has to be cold before you apply it then you can start heating it up
word of advice. shake it and gently squeeze it, I wasn't so gentle and half of the glue ended up on my face and in the hair
https://magigoo.com/

any advice how to put this together, the parts are 1-2mm off, I printed the Z endstop 100% infill ABS, the rest is 50% infill PLA but I'm going to give it another try and print everything with ABS 100% infill

- Emiliano Zapata
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Rivas wrote:any advice how to put this together, the parts are 1-2mm off, I printed the Z endstop 100% infill ABS, the rest is 50% infill PLA but I'm going to give it another try and print everything with ABS 100% infill
Was there supposed to be a photo? Thats a damn strong part using 100%. even %50 is crazy IMO. I cracked my windshield throwing a 2 perimeter %10 infill print at it haha. if parts are off in size but correct in the slicer you need to calibrate your esteps for the dimension it is off. Its the first thing I do when I get a new printer. Calibrate all 3 axis steps, then extruder then LA, PID and square up all parts of the frame.
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

morbidpete wrote:Was there supposed to be a photo? Thats a damn strong part using 100%. even %50 is crazy IMO. I cracked my windshield throwing a 2 perimeter %10 infill print at it haha. if parts are off in size but correct in the slicer you need to calibrate your esteps for the dimension it is off. Its the first thing I do when I get a new printer. Calibrate all 3 axis steps, then extruder then LA, PID and square up all parts of the frame.
there is a photo but not assembly instructions, right at this moment it's finished 100% infill ABS

photo is here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3165452 Anycubic Chiron Titan Volcano

- Emiliano Zapata
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Rivas wrote:there is a photo but not assembly instructions, right at this moment it's finished 100% infill ABS

photo is here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3165452 Anycubic Chiron Titan Volcano
Only issue I see with 100% infill is the weight it adds. While maybe not a whole lot and I could be paranoid lol. Could introduce ringing.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I have to learn this new language you speak. I didn't understand 1/4 of this post.
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

Lefty wrote:I have to learn this new language you speak. I didn't understand 1/4 of this post.
Leftyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :cool:

http://www.3dprinterprices.net/faqs/

it's like a building a house inside a house, you can be the worker or architect or both

- Emiliano Zapata
Rivas

Post by Rivas »

morbidpete wrote:Only issue I see with 100% infill is the weight it adds. While maybe not a whole lot and I could be paranoid lol. Could introduce ringing.
it's not as heavy but if you want to print a material at 380 degree celsia the PLA will be toast. BUT ...I got only one roll of filament that really requires that kind of temperature everything else is good around 220-280
I will have to buy subscription and post pics from melted tevo tornado controller box, tevo didn't bother with me at all, their customer representative Betty sucks and it has been 6 months and I still didn't hear from them and yet I'm still under warranty
Tevo started losing many customers because PSU inside their boxes are faulty and then they started lying even in their own background (Aliexpress) plus their innovation is zero to none and RMA customer representative like Betty keeps telling you for 6 months that they are for 6 months nonstop out of stock so you can imagine where it's headed …. it's like buying asus mobo, mobo turns out bad and asus will tell you sorry but we don't have any available lol

- Emiliano Zapata