streaming services

Discuss anything not covered in another forum (life, the universe etc.)... Please keep it PG-13 and avoid spam.
CableDude
SG VIP

streaming services

Post by CableDude »

I have had it with my TV provider and their ancient equipment no longer working on a consistent basis. (Get new equipment, good luck with that)

I don't have other really good choices (The way I see it).

Fiber to the Home: I'll be dead by the time this technology comes to my area.

Satellite: No thanks. I don't want to be stuck with something for two years and not end up liking. (If they had like a 30 day window, I would consider)

So I guess my only choice is something like DirectvNow. They have all the channels (except for locals -so who knows what I would do there. antenna I guess (good luck with that)

NO DVR (as of right now) on DirectVNow is a real deal breaker So who knows there.

I missed out on the FireTV box and this doesn't look promising at all http://amzn.to/2zPzoZ4

So I would be stuck with this, http://amzn.to/2gSAy2b again I don't know if that is any good either.

I'm certain that this https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT54GL/ Isn't going to handle the other 3 TV's. TV 4 should work fine because the router and TV are in the same area.

*shrug
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

WRT54GL Wireless G??! It's about time to upgrade that Linky. I'd first get a decent 802.11ac router, Asus RT-AC68 or better.

For a FireTV... either get the $39 stick, or, even better, a "refurb" Fire TV (the only one with Ethernet port and SD card slot): https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurb ... 829&sr=1-3 Video streaming can be taxing on your Wi-Fi, so Ethernet where available is always a plus imho.

As for TV... It really depends on the channels you need. Local channels are easy to get with a HD antenna at good quality actually. Streaming TV is getting better, I kinda like Sling TV.. But if you get some nice bundle with your TV/Internet provider, you can sometimes stream their channels online these days, like HBO GO, etc. without even plugging in their hardware.
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

I avoided an amazon device because of the amazon prime forced advertising on the menus.

Have Direct TV Now with HBO. The service can be pretty crappy at times, they have a new software update thats gonna add features and supposedly fix a bunch of stuff that is in beta right now. But they let you log in to a bunch of the channels own sites, so I watch a lot of stuff that way while I wait on the update.

DVR is a feature they are testing in the beta.

For me DTV Now is good enough while I wiat to see which streaming services win out and get better. The $5 a month HBO is great too.

For a device I have the Apple TV, I might go Roku if I was buying now, really would depend on the menu views. Not a fan of ads, or promoted shows/movies I have to pay more for.
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

Philip wrote:WRT54GL Wireless G??! It's about time to upgrade that Linky. I'd first get a decent 802.11ac router, Asus RT-AC68 or better.
Ya I know, I use ancient equipment. :rotfl:

Philip wrote:For a FireTV... either get the $39 stick, or, even better, a "refurb" Fire TV (the only one with Ethernet port and SD card slot): https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurb ... 829&sr=1-3 Video streaming can be taxing on your Wi-Fi, so Ethernet where available is always a plus imho.

As for TV... It really depends on the channels you need. Local channels are easy to get with a HD antenna at good quality actually. Streaming TV is getting better, I kinda like Sling TV.. But if you get some nice bundle with your TV/Internet provider, you can sometimes stream their channels online these days, like HBO GO, etc. without even plugging in their hardware.
:)
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

YARDofSTUF wrote:I avoided an amazon device because of the amazon prime forced advertising on the menus.

Have Direct TV Now with HBO. The service can be pretty crappy at times, they have a new software update thats gonna add features and supposedly fix a bunch of stuff that is in beta right now. But they let you log in to a bunch of the channels own sites, so I watch a lot of stuff that way while I wait on the update.

DVR is a feature they are testing in the beta.

For me DTV Now is good enough while I wiat to see which streaming services win out and get better. The $5 a month HBO is great too.

For a device I have the Apple TV, I might go Roku if I was buying now, really would depend on the menu views. Not a fan of ads, or promoted shows/movies I have to pay more for.
Do you need an amazon prime subscription to use one of their devices? That was something that was kinda unclear in other places I read. :confused: I know for their content yes, (which wouldn't interest me anyway)

Apple TV was something else I was going to look at/consider. :)

$5 a month HBO? Interesting. Beats paying 16 a month through a cable provider. :eek:
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

You both mention about "own channel sites" (Never thought of that). So let's say I wanted to watch "Propety Brothers" tonight at 8 est. Would I be able to do this on the HGTV "channel site" (Im guessing the proper term is HGTV app)
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

So for that it would have to be on, or in the directv now VOD section(which on the old software lags behind)

Channel sites or apps you can access via directv now are here:

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/ar ... obile-apps

I dont think most of the apps do live stuff, so you would have to wait for it to be on their site.

You dont need a subscription to use a firetv, but they still shove the amazon prime video in your face no matter what.

EDIT: but on the directv now app you can watch HGTV live, I should clarify that.
Philip
SG VIP

Post by Philip »

I just bought an Amazon TV from eBay to try it out and tinker with, seems cheap for the hardware and you can install Kodi on it.. If I don't like the Prime content on it I'd have to root it or something I guess.
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

54 TB (only 29 used) Plex server hosted on a 1gb/1gb
housing over 2k movies, 290 tv shows
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

Hey Hi :)

I have Roku boxes that my daughter and Wife use a lot... we got 3 all together for the netflix, hulu ect. And just free digital over the air (OTA) for local channels. Kodi is decent to tune into TV shows also. Interesting things is that I just bought three Raspberry PI's, and they have an images that I can install for Kodi as well. I may do that, because a small device like the Raspberry PI would be great to have downstairs hooked up via HDMI and behind the TV:-)
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

Shinobi wrote:Hey Hi :)

I have Roku boxes that my daughter and Wife use a lot... we got 3 all together for the netflix, hulu ect. And just free digital over the air (OTA) for local channels. Kodi is decent to tune into TV shows also. Interesting things is that I just bought three Raspberry PI's, and they have an images that I can install for Kodi as well. I may do that, because a small device like the Raspberry PI would be great to have downstairs hooked up via HDMI and behind the TV:-)
I used to use nothing but XBMC (now Kodi, but without all the streaming addons) back in the day but switched to plex about 4 years. Ago. I also use RPi's for 2 of my TV's with Rasplex. I printed up some Vesa mounts (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:922740) and mount the Pi's to the back of the TV and use a Flirc (https://flirc.tv/more/flirc-usb) to control the pi's so I dont need my iphone out to control it.
morbidpete

Post by morbidpete »

I can print one or two up for ya if your interested. no charge.
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

morbidpete wrote:I can print one or two up for ya if your interested. no charge.
Thanks man, that nice of you to offer.. but I have some other plans at the moment for them. I'm going to use them for a offensive / defensive security class that I am doing (Red / Blue).
If that whole thing is your case.. that some really nice work! I hope your doing well.
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

YARDofSTUF wrote: For a device I have the Apple TV, I might go Roku if I was buying now, really would depend on the menu views. Not a fan of ads, or promoted shows/movies I have to pay more for.
Yardo,

Do you need an iphone to setup Apple TV?
YARDofSTUF

Post by YARDofSTUF »

No you can set it up with just the TV, apple remote, and an internet connection. Dont drop the remote though, they cost about 75 bucks lol
CableDude
SG VIP

Post by CableDude »

YARDofSTUF wrote:No you can set it up with just the TV, apple remote, and an internet connection.
Thanks.
YARDofSTUF wrote: Dont drop the remote though, they cost about 75 bucks lol
:eek: