Thread: Is it illegal to post someone's IP address to the online public with malicious intent

Advanced Member

Is it illegal to post someone's IP address to the online public with malicious intent

On another messageboard I go to, a moderator has just threatened to post people's IP addys online. Here's his reasonings.

"Post up any **** with Derogatory language or terms and I will post the city you live in.

Keep it up and I will post your I.P address and the hackers and crackers can have a field day on your sorry ass."

I dunno but it seems to me that something like that can't be legal to do, not if you're posting it up with hopes of malicious intent in mind. That's like threatening that you will give some burgler the keys to your home unless you do so and so.

Just wondering what you guys think about this.

Re: Is it illegal to post someone's IP address to the online public with malicious intent

Originally posted by velvta
    On another messageboard I go to, a moderator has just threatened to post people's IP addys online. Here's his reasonings.

"Post up any **** with Derogatory language or terms and I will post the city you live in.

Keep it up and I will post your I.P address and the hackers and crackers can have a field day on your sorry ass."

I dunno but it seems to me that something like that can't be legal to do, not if you're posting it up with hopes of malicious intent in mind. That's like threatening that you will give some burgler the keys to your home unless you do so and so.

Just wondering what you guys think about this.
    maybe the mod is fed up with some poeple being idiots on that site and he has to threaten them with something ! I'm no legal expert,but
    I don't think it's illegal,because your public IP is easily seen anyway.
    look here
    and giving out the city is no big deal,IMHO

Advanced Member

Re: Re: Is it illegal to post someone's IP address to the online public with malicious intent

Originally posted by exit1mile

maybe the mod is fed up with some poeple being idiots on that site and he has to threaten them with something ! I'm no legal expert,but
    I don't think it's illegal,because your public IP is easily seen anyway.
    look here
    and giving out the city is no big deal,IMHO
    Oh I totally understand hoe to find your own IP addy, but it's not like you can find this info of anther person on this chatboard. I know he's fed up with some people, but it's happening on a general chat board and many of the users are up in arms about censorship on a general chat board, plus there is the use of an ignore feature if needed. I just feel there's something not right about threatening to post such info of another person so "the hackers and crackers can have a field day with your ass".

Re: Re: Re: Is it illegal to post someone's IP address to the online public with malicious intent

Originally posted by velvta

Oh I totally understand hoe
    dang man! you don't have to call me a hoe! I was just stating my opinion!

. j/k

Advanced Member
    lol

Every website, server, message board, internet 'place' you go to logs your IP already, in fact it prolly logs your domain too. Unfortuntely that kind of stuff isn't private. There are some message boards where they have it showing your IP by default when you post, so everyone sees it, there are advantages and disadvantages to this of course.

But the main point is when you choose to post on a private forum such as that they have total control over the information you have on the forum. If you don't want your ip revealed then don't sing up on the forum and post at all, that's the only sure fire way. And even then doesn't always work since just going to the site itself can log your IP. So if you wanted to remain totally private then it's best to just not go to the website at all, that's the only SURE FIRE way to not have your ip logged.

Now, once the admin of that message board has your IP and you are posting on their forum I do believe they have the right to post your IP up if they wish, it is after all THEIR home and YOU are the GUEST. It's private, and under those circumstances any info you put there can be used by them, that's usually in the agreement you sign when you join up on a forum.

It is however NOT good morals/ethics/manners whatever you want to call it, to threaten someone with their IP though and say if you **** up i'll post your IP so others can hack you. It's not very mature of someone to threaten with that. Unfortuntetly there is nothing you can do about it exept stop posting on their forum. They aren't doing anything illegal because they aren't technically doing the hacking.

It's kind of like saying, I'm going to kill you, or I'm going to give your house keys to a a theif and leave them on a table in a restraurant. They arent technically doing anything illegal since they are not personally handing the keys to the theif, they are just 'forgetting' them and leaving them on a table open for anybody to take. Same thing with your IP, they are leaving it open on the table, ready for someone to take. In an honest world no one would take that IP and then we could all show our IP's without any problems, but this isn't a perfect world.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

In an ideal world there ought to be a way to find out the forum administrator's passwords and stuff. Then threaten to reveal them (and update anytime they change) to the rest of the forum. With that kind of reciprocal leverage I doubt he'd be throwing his weight around like that. Unfortunately, the power is one sided.

I don't buy the "private" argument at all. A forum is not like a personal website -- just as a Walmart is not like your home. When you invite the public to come in without individual invitations and the purpose of your establishment involves soliciting the public, your status should be more public than private. This is the difference the Supreme Court recognized in upholding civil rights legislation in the 1960s. Though the restaurants and hotels were "private" in the sense that they were owned by someone, their nature was essentially public, therefore Congress could forbid discrimination there.

The forum owner/participant issue reminds me of the controversy surrounding sports teams moving from cities. Owners seem to think the entity is solely theirs. Although current law is structured to accommodate that fantasy, it doesn't take into account the realities of the ties between fans/city and team. The team is virtually worthless without its regional identity and fan base, but owners mistakenly believe they should be able to sever the two components at will, even though one was necessary for the value of the other. Logically, the fan base should be considered an integral PART OF the product. That is true of forums as well. They are worthless without the people who participate. Those people, as an integral part of the entity that is a forum, deserve some voice in the regulation of their participation.

y'all seem to be forgetting the the forums IP is known as well. go ahead, try and do something with it if you can

I know the Blizzard forums, at least used to, show the IP when you posted. I guess it would be a deterent to keep some people from f'n up, but I don't think it would stop most people. My IP has been fairly public for a while, 30+ people have it and I assume at least one has given it to someone else and so on. No problems. with just an IP alone not much damage they can do if you are running good firewall/security. And if you are on broadband of any kind you should be.

Hmm, bottom line it's not a good thing for him to do but I just don't see my IP address as being that private. It's not mine afterall anyway.

The person at that forum does not know how to execute good control over the boards apparantly.

However, an IP is PUBLIC info. That's why it's called a Public IP Address.

Speedguide is NOT a private forum. Posting here requires membership, but viewing does not.

A private forum would require a secure login just to view the site content.

Most all internet content is Public.

Heck, it's not even illegal to telnet to the speedguide server if telnet is running on the server!
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

It is illegall

I have a lawsuit going right now over this same exact thing. He posted my address when I checked dont share and he posted my Ip address which is Illegal with out my permission. Beings he owns the site well its a bigger Issue. I cant wait for this man to go to jail. Hes being prosicuted right now!!!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Wow....a thread from the year 2002 was brought back.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Quote Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat View Post
    Wow....a thread from the year 2002 was brought back.
    I wonder what his next thread will be? Nike sneakers, or Cell phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Cheeseman View Post
    I have a lawsuit going right now over this same exact thing. He posted my address when I checked dont share and he posted my Ip address which is Illegal with out my permission. Beings he owns the site well its a bigger Issue. I cant wait for this man to go to jail. Hes being prosicuted right now!!!
    I hope you have lots of money reserved to pay the attornies for both parties, cause you ain't gonna win.
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces people into thinking they can't lose. -Bill Gates

must post in this epic thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CableDude View Post
    fail

Uninsured for your health
    127.0.0.1 gives you awsome speed on that MadDoc Sheeple Butt Burners game!
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Elite Member
    I like this.
    Your IP Address Is: 199.x.x.x
    Last edited by BaLa; 01-30-10 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by velvta View Post
    Oh I totally understand hoe to find your own IP addy, but it's not like you can find this info of anther person on this chatboard. I know he's fed up with some people, but it's happening on a general chat board and many of the users are up in arms about censorship on a general chat board, plus there is the use of an ignore feature if needed. I just feel there's something not right about threatening to post such info of another person so "the hackers and crackers can have a field day with your ass".
    Sounds childish, yet admirable.
    Feelings about religion: I believe in a dogma-free personal Prime Mover.