Thread: key to enter BIOS on a Sony VAIO desktop?

key to enter BIOS on a Sony VAIO desktop?

as in pressing the -del- key as it POSTs. working on a computer for someone (to remove winXP... go figure). need to get into BIOS, but don't see any indication on how to do so at POST screen (which passes too fast to read).

thanks much.

im not sure but F8 or Ctrl+F8 may work
    XP 1600+ @1606 Mhz, GIGABYTE Mobo WD 60GB 8MBc, 512 MB pc 2100 DDR, GF 2 Ultra, Win XP Pro, CDRWx40

War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things: The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings, which thinks nothing (is) worth a war, is worse.

-John Stuart Mill “The Contest in America”

finally stumbled across it (i hit pause at POST so i could read the damned thing).

i appreciate the effort though. on this model it was F2, but they seem to vary depending on the model (Googled the query as well)..

thanks, man .

Glad you found it. Why cant everyone just be normal and use delete or some sort of standard button?
    XP 1600+ @1606 Mhz, GIGABYTE Mobo WD 60GB 8MBc, 512 MB pc 2100 DDR, GF 2 Ultra, Win XP Pro, CDRWx40

War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things: The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings, which thinks nothing (is) worth a war, is worse.

-John Stuart Mill “The Contest in America”

You didn't give a model. Sony says F1 to access bios.

Entering BIOS on Sony VIAO

Yes it depends on the mother board being used. Sony uses F1, F2, etc. depending on the board.

Here is a guide to boards and to the Sony entry points. Mine is F2

http://michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

The way I got into the system is "PRESS THE ASSIST KEY" while turning on the VAIO laptop. This will give you a menu and then you can hit the "F2" key. The way I found this was I had called SONY tech support and they told me to just hit the "F2" key while booting up, WRONG. I finally just took out the HDD and booted up on the laptop a few times trying all the normal bootup keys. Then I hit the magic "ASSIST" key. This gave me a menu of all the function key from within the Assist menu. This is the only way to get the bootup menu.