Thread: Cable Modem MAC Address Change

cheepoguy

Cable Modem MAC Address Change

Forgive me if this is a silly question. I don't know much about all this stuff.

I want to dump my cable company modem and buy my own. If I do I believe I will have to call them and register the new Modem MAC address. I have read horror stories about people having all sorts of problems when they change modems. However, I have heard that on some modems it is possible to change the MAC address. Does anyone know if this is true or not and if so which modems is it possible. I was interested in the Motorola SB 4100 (going cheep now) and if it was possible to reprogram it to the same MAC no as my existing one I wouldn't have to involve the cable guys at all. Any info, links etc gratefully accepted.

SG Enthusiast
    You don't want to pursue that - I don't even know that it is possible. You are much better off getting a modem that is supported by your ISP then calling them to register it.

friendly advice

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Silly question? Maybe not!! What you have to keep in mind is that you are renting the modem, so anything someone tell you on here may or may not work for your ISP.The best thing you can do is call them, Tell them your going to buy a new modem and ask what you need to do .You may have to turn in your old one before they will set the new one up in there system. You don't want to be paying for a modem your not using

SG Enthusiast
    No, you can't change the MAC of a cable modem. It is built in at the factory.

If you are paying rent on a cable modem, then you may be able to save some money by buying your own. There are risks in doing so, however. If it fails, you will have to wait for the maker to replace it. Not all modems sold today carry manufacturer's warranties, the SB4200, for example, leaving you dependant upon the seller for warranty and support.

Kip

Thumbs up :)

sorry for my english... but the Modem Mac address YES can be changet with a special cable ... and if your internet provider it's "stupid" you will navigate free without pay any money