Thread: My cable modem keeps disconnecting! Help anyone!

Regular Member TeenInternetAddict's Avatar

Angry My cable modem keeps disconnecting! Help anyone!

This is soo annoying. I just hooked up a tv to the living room where my computer is at, so I can watch tv and surf the net at the same time, and now my cable modem always disconnects. It's so annoying when I'm trying to surf the net and it disconnects. Here's what docsdiag tells me:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.OEMCOMPUTER\Desktop>jview/cp docsdiag.jar docsdi
    ag
    DocsDiag v011209 Copyright 2001 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

External Ethernet Cable Modem VENDOR: D-Link Corporation HW: 3.2 SW: 4.4270

Downstream channel ID = 0
    Downstream channel frequency = 573000000 Hz
    Downstream received signal power = 0.0 dBmV (or not supported)
    Upstream channel ID = 3
    Upstream channel frequency = 30992000 Hz
    QoS max upstream bandwidth = 256000 bps
    QoS max downstream bandwidth = 3000000 bps
    SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 29.8 dB
    Cable modem status = Operational
    Upstream transmit signal power = 58.0 dBmV
    Date and Time = 2002-03-26,10:03:10.03+00:00
    Configuration filename = isrrIP3.bin

My area is having problems with the cable modems blinking, but it says on the Roadrunner Help page that my area's problem has been fixed but it hasn't been for me. Can someone tells me what to do? It's annoying and it disconnected just now. Someone tell me what to do for the disconnects? I'm trying to browse dslreports, speedguide, the net and watch tv at the same time, but I can't because my cable modem just disconnects I'm ready to throw this cable modem out the window. As soon as we can fix the disconnects, I can watch "The Simpsons", etc at the same time and surf the net
    Computer specs:

Dell Dimension 2350 with a 1.7Ghz Intel Celeron Proccesor, Windows XP Home Edition, 80 Gig hard drive, 768Mb of DDRAM PC2100, CDRW and cdrom. Cox.net at 4Mbps down and 512Kbps up.

Is the TV on the same leg as the modem?

Yep, I just fixed it, I just put the cable modem's coxial cable where's the main cable was at. Here's another docsdiag report:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.OEMCOMPUTER\Desktop>jview/cp docsdiag.jar docsdi
    ag
    DocsDiag v011209 Copyright 2001 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

External Ethernet Cable Modem VENDOR: D-Link Corporation HW: 3.2 SW: 4.4270

Downstream channel ID = 0
    Downstream channel frequency = 573000000 Hz
    Downstream received signal power = 0.0 dBmV (or not supported)
    Upstream channel ID = 3
    Upstream channel frequency = 30992000 Hz
    QoS max upstream bandwidth = 256000 bps
    QoS max downstream bandwidth = 3000000 bps
    SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 30.6 dB
    Cable modem status = Operational
    Upstream transmit signal power = 56.7 dBmV
    Date and Time = 2002-03-26,12:04:42.09+00:00
    Configuration filename = isrrIP3.bin
    Computer specs:

Dell Dimension 2350 with a 1.7Ghz Intel Celeron Proccesor, Windows XP Home Edition, 80 Gig hard drive, 768Mb of DDRAM PC2100, CDRW and cdrom. Cox.net at 4Mbps down and 512Kbps up.

The Upstream transmit signal power = 56.7 dBmV is a little high! It should be below 54dBmV. It shouldn't affect your speeds or connection as long as it doesn't go any higher. I wonder what the Downstream signal is at? The Signal to Noise Ratio = 30.6 dB
    looks really good.

I guess all you have to do is sit back and enjoy it. Hopefully it will stay that way.
    Closed course and Professional user.
    Don't try this at Home!

Talking

Well, it stayed, and now I can watch tv and surf the net at the same time "In The Heat Of The Night" at 10pm on WGN and "I Love Lucy" on 3pm on TvLand for me
    Computer specs:

here is a possible fix for problems

Some usb dsl/cable modems may get disconnected after a little while. A possible reason that could cause this problem is that in windows xp there is an option that allows the computer to turn off a usb device to save power. To disable this option:

1) click start, highlight my computer, right click and select properties and a window will pop up with the system properties
    2) click on the hardware tab and press the device manager button
    3) expand the universal serial bus controllers
    4) Double click on the USB Root Hub.
    5)Select the Power Management tab and UNTICK the "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power"

If you have more than one USB Root Hub, then you should apply the steps to each one of them
    That's it, you won't need to restart the computer!
    WinXP/DSL/1.4 TBird/Geforce2Ultra64mb/30GB ata100 7200/SB LiveXGamer/24xSonyCDRW/16xSonyDVD/Klipsch Speakers/Zip100/512mb ddr ram/19in Sony Flat/BeanBurrito/

Fix problems with USB DSL/Cable modems

Some usb dsl/cable modems may get disconnected after a little while. A possible reason that could cause this problem is that in windows xp there is an option that allows the computer to turn off a usb device to save power. To disable this option:

1) click start, highlight my computer, right click and select properties and a window will pop up with the system properties
    2) click on the hardware tab and press the device manager button
    3) expand the universal serial bus controllers
    4) Double click on the USB Root Hub.
    5)Select the Power Management tab and UNTICK the "allow the computer to turn off the device to save power"

If you have more than one USB Root Hub, then you should apply the steps to each one of them
    That's it, you won't need to restart the computer!
    WinXP/DSL/1.4 TBird/Geforce2Ultra64mb/30GB ata100 7200/SB LiveXGamer/24xSonyCDRW/16xSonyDVD/Klipsch Speakers/Zip100/512mb ddr ram/19in Sony Flat/BeanBurrito/

doh try this one

With some ADSL/Cable modems (especially USB) you may have a problem with getting disconnected after a few hours, here are two ways to fix that.

Disable Hibernation
    Right click on your desktop, click the screen saver tab, once there you should see a power button at the bottom of the display properties dialog, click that, ones dialog appears click the hibernate tab, and uncheck enable hibernation.

Disable Windows Messenger
    Go to your start menu, click run.
    In the Run dialog type gpedit.msc
    Go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Windows Messenger
    Once there right click Do not allow Windows messenger to be run, go to properties.
    Check the box next to enable.

That should fix the problem.

I have this same problem. when ever my computer not use, the modem lockup. i ran my connection through a router so i don't think setting in my comp effect the connection as far as hilbenation and windows messenger. i'm using sb3100. It's a pretty old modem. is there a way to fix this disconnect. I called my isp and they said my router made this happen. but how?

Originally posted by catngo
    I have this same problem. when ever my computer not use, the modem lockup. i ran my connection through a router so i don't think setting in my comp effect the connection as far as hilbenation and windows messenger. i'm using sb3100. It's a pretty old modem. is there a way to fix this disconnect. I called my isp and they said my router made this happen. but how?
    Define "lockup". Are you losing sync or all of a sudden can't browse the web?

yes. everything seem work fine. the lights on the modem still on and solid. but the router said disconnect. can't access the html page on the modem (http://192.168.100.1) and ofcourse no internet connection. when this happen, i just reboot the modem and everything back online. This is realy anoying because i'm running a webserver. any help ? Does my modem need firmware upgrade and how? i'm using the 3com gateway router.

Originally posted by catngo
    yes. everything seem work fine. the lights on the modem still on and solid. but the router said disconnect. can't access the html page on the modem (http://192.168.100.1) and ofcourse no internet connection. when this happen, i just reboot the modem and everything back online. This is realy anoying because i'm running a webserver. any help ? Does my modem need firmware upgrade and how? i'm using the 3com gateway router.
    On the next occurance, type IPCONFIG /ALL (for 2K/XP) at a command prompt or type WINIPCONFIG (95/98/ME) in a run box and note the IP address. If it's 165.x.x.x, you're losing your lease for some reason.

Hi, I have the same cable modem problem

I have the same problem and i need help, my cable modem will die like ever 2-3 hours after being used. the cable led will keep blinking until its stop and work again. i dont understand what you mean by connecting the coxial cable to the main cable. so please tell me, its very annoying