Thread: Linksys router and @rogers connection

Linksys router and @rogers connection

Hi all, got a question about connecting a Linksys BEFSR41 router to an @rogers cable modem. I tried to do a search through the various forums here, but couldn't find what I needed to know.

Connection is for a buddy, the router itself is known good, I tested it with my DSL setup and got Internet access just fine. The two workstations that will be connected are able to see each other through the router no problem, but the router doesn't seem to be able to get an IP from their DHCP server. I used to be with Rogers (but I was tired of downtime), have since switched to Bell. For the life of me though, I CAN'T remember what the settings were on my router when I was with Rogers. So, can anyone help me get a clue about this? Namely:

1. Is the cable connecting the modem to the router's WAN port supposed to be a straight-through or a crossover cable?
    2. Do I have to enter his CR # and the Rogers domain into the setup page or do these stay blank?
    3. He's going to be set up DHCP on his LAN as well as with Rogers. Do I enter his NIC's MAC address into the MAC cloning portion of the router?
    4. I had the router setup as a gateway, is this right?

Oh, yeah, I also tried the DHCP Release, then Renew on the router, no joy.

It's almost enough to make me want to say "Damn"...
    "The best diplomat I know is a fully- charged phaser bank!"

Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery Scott
    Chief Engineer, USS Enterprise

Not really sure how they do things with Rogers@home, but one of the two methods ought to work. Try setting the domain name on the router, computer name shouldn't make a difference but try it anyhow.

If no dice, then clone the MAC address of the NIC on the router's WAN port.

The cable that connects from the router's WAN port to the cable modem needs to be straight through. The router does the cross over it needs to do for it to work.

Not really sure what you mean. If you mean on the workstations, yes.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web

Re: Linksys router and @rogers connection

Originally posted by kilroy
    Hi all, got a question about connecting a Linksys BEFSR41 router to an @rogers cable modem. I tried to do a search through the various forums here, but couldn't find what I needed to know.

Connection is for a buddy, the router itself is known good, I tested it with my DSL setup and got Internet access just fine. The two workstations that will be connected are able to see each other through the router no problem, but the router doesn't seem to be able to get an IP from their DHCP server. I used to be with Rogers (but I was tired of downtime), have since switched to Bell. For the life of me though, I CAN'T remember what the settings were on my router when I was with Rogers. So, can anyone help me get a clue about this? Namely:

1. Is the cable connecting the modem to the router's WAN port supposed to be a straight-through or a crossover cable?
    2. Do I have to enter his CR # and the Rogers domain into the setup page or do these stay blank?
    3. He's going to be set up DHCP on his LAN as well as with Rogers. Do I enter his NIC's MAC address into the MAC cloning portion of the router?

Oh, yeah, I also tried the DHCP Release, then Renew on the router, no joy.

It's almost enough to make me want to say "Damn"...
    1st. Straight cable from modem to WAN port

2. Yes you have to enter the info, but while you do this, make sure the modem isn't powered on, so once you apply the settings in the router, turn the Modem on and let it sync

3. In order for DHCP to work on the LAN side, all you have to do is enable all the PC to obtain IPS automatically, Obtain DNS auto, and remove any DNS or Wins resolution entries. You don't have to enter the MAC address, but since ISPs are *attempting* to crack down on routers its better to be safe then sorry

4. Yes its setup as a gateway.

Once all this is down, just power up the modem and you should be good to go.

EVGA 780i A1/QX9770 @ 4.2ghz/4GB XMS2 @ 1.0ghz/150GB Raptors Raid 0
    750GB drive for storage/20x Lite On SATA DVDs/EVGA 8800GT SSC SLI/Enermax Galaxy Kilowatt PSU/Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1

illestdynasty, MosDef112:

Thanks for your replies folks, I'll have a bash at trying them at my buddy's place this weekend. Will post the results. TTYL!

Stan Wright
    I converted my setup from static IP to dynamic IP per Insight's new requirement. I had alot of trouble with my Linksys router. I ended up having to do a reset and re-enter all the data. For some reason it wasn't clearing the static IP address data.

Rogers used to give out IP addresses based on the CR name, but since the switchover, they do it based on MAC address. So the name isn't important, but you will have to clone the MAC address. They also have the DHCP servers set up to remember your MAC for 7 days, so be careful or your friend could be offline for a week. Be sure to release the IP from the PC before you try to connect the router. You'll find more specific info in the Rogers forums over at www.rbua.org

Well, I went to my buddy's place to try to get his router up and running on the weekend. As promised, here's what happened:

Took the advice of releasing the computer's IP, then shut down the computer and the cable modem. Fired up the modem, let it get connected, then fired up the router (after cloning the PC's MAC address). Fired up the two computers. They can see each other, but the router STILL wouldn't get an IP. Sat scratching my head and staring at the computer. "Hmmm, the computer gets an IP when connected directly to the modem. The two computers get an IP from the router but the router can't see Rogers' DHCP server. WTF? What else can I try...?". Then, two things happened that stunned me.

First stunner, buddy's GF called Rogers' tech support in desperation. Got a tech almost immediately, and get this, despite their publicly stated policy of not supporting home LAN's, he actually TRIED TO HELP ME! Go figure... Anyway, he had me check the back of the Terayon modem. LED on the front of the modem said it had connection, but there is a second LED on the back of the modem and it wasn't lit, therefore no connection. Hooked it back up to the computer and was connected immediately. OK, still no luck, said thanks very much and hung up. Stared at setup some more while muttering dark oaths to myself. Why the HELL isn't this working!? Just for grins, removed cable connecting modem to WAN port of router and used another straight-through cable, and the second stunner happened. BOOM! The router connected immediately!! Did the dance of "w00t! I'm on-line", buddy poured me a rye and ginger and we toasted his return to the Web.

Now he wants me to help him to create a web page for his business. *sigh* Ah, well, he has lots of rye in his booze cabinet and I will get to learn HTML.

So my own bit of advice to anyone who encounters something like this is, check your cabling. Why the original straight-through cable would work with the PC/modem combo, and not the PC/router/modem combo is anyone's guess, but everything is fine now. Thanks to all for your help and advice.

My same dilemma as a technician.. I always overlook the stupidest things. Glad it works.
    OMARNYC.COM - My place on the web

The final kicker was, took the cable that originally connected the computer to the modem (this setup worked OK, computer could go on-line), you know, the cable that DIDN't work with the router, used it to connect buddy's GF's computer to the router once it was on-line, and presto!, she was connected too.

This time I did say "Damn!"...